Volume 1.27: Answers

Type: Series
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Rating: M
Characters:  Cadence
Word Count: 842
Glossary: Grade 11=11th Grade, Surname=last name
Warning: 

The moment I let go of it was
The moment I got more than I could handle
The moment I jumped off of it was
The moment I touched down
Thank You-Alanis Morissette
It had been years since Cadence visited the library and she had no clue where to start.

The long aisles stacked with ancient books looked scary, and Mrs. Klutz, the now retired kindergarten teacher, sitting at the front desk was just as terrifying, there was no way she’d go up to her and ask for help.

“It’s Cadence, right?” A squeaky voice broke through her haze.
Cadence whipped around and blinked at the guy in front of her. There was nothing remotely interesting about him. He looked like the typical geek one always sees in movies, with glasses and all.

“Yes?” Cadence frowned, racking her brain, trying to figure out from where she knew him, if at all.

“I’m Matt. We were in same class in Grade 11. I don’t think you remember me,” the sudden smile in his green eyes made him a little more interesting.

“Hi, Matt,” Cadence returned his smile.
“So, are you working on a paper?” Her old classmate nodded at the heavy volume in her hands. It was an encyclopedia on Asian Mythology and she had no idea what had made her pick it out from the thousands of books on the shelves.

Cadence shook her head and Matt gave her a curious look.

“So?” He asked again, pushing up his glasses.

Cadence hesitated. She knew it was crazy and she was probably wasting her time looking for answers in history volumes. But with the way things were at home, she wasn’t going to go back to Sonja and beg for more details any time soon.
“I’m working on an ancestry project, and I needed information about my family. My mom doesn’t know much-” her voice faded.

“You won’t find it in history volumes. Your best bet is to check the family history archives,” Matt replied.

Cadence thanked him, but made no attempt to move on. She had no idea where the family history archives were.

“Come on, I’ll show you,” Matt offered as he took her hand and led her to the computer room located next to kiddies section. Suddenly she liked Matt, he was nice. Or maybe it was her gratitude talking.
Cadence was glad to see she wasn’t the only person in Twinbrook looking for long lost relatives; there were three other people in the room, their eyes were firmly glued to the screens in front of them while their fingers kept pounding away at their keyboards.

Matt hooked her up with a PC and logged her on to the Family History archives. He gave her a crash course on the site and demonstrated what each section was for, and how to print things out if she needed to. Unfortunately the library did not allow use of mass storage devices, their network had been badly compromised a few years ago.

Cadence didn’t mind at all, she wasn’t planning on printing out or saving anything really. She just wanted to know more about her father.

“Thank you Matt,” she squeezed his hand gently.

“Shout if you need anything,” he replied as he turned to leave.
Alone, Cadence felt anxious suddenly as she stared at her screen. A part of her told her she should leave it alone, it was done, Warrick Kent was dead, and no amount of research would bring him back. But another part wanted to know him; she wanted factual information about him, details not clouded by Sonja’s emotions.
She clicked on the “surname search” link on the left hand side menu, typed in Kent and hit the “search” button.

In seconds the screen returned her search results. There were numerous Kents, and the first twenty were not the ones she was looking for. She was on the fiftieth Kent when she remembered Sonja had told her Warrick wasn’t from Twinbrook, he was originally from Hidden Spring.

“Bright, Cadence,” she admonished herself as she cleared the results and loaded a new search using her own surname.
“Bingo,” she cried when the screen flashed only one result.

Cadence skimmed through her family tree and history; occasionally she’d spend a few moments staring at the pictures of her ancestors, searching for any resemblance.

The link on Sonja didn’t tell her anything new, but it corroborated her mom’s story about her fairytale love with Warrick.

Tears clouded her eyes when she saw her parents’ wedding pictures; they were the same ones she’d seen on Sonja’s album. She was sad to admit she looked nothing like Warrick. She was all Sonja, from the hair right to her eye color. She wondered if they would have been close if he was alive.
Her whole world stopped when she clicked on the archive titled “Sonja Youngblood’s fortieth” and saw group shots of Warrick posing with Luca and Julian…

“Of course!” She whispered to herself, wondering why everything kept pointing back to Luca.

She didn’t want to see him, didn’t want to give in to his mind games, but it looked like she was about to. She was ready to know the truth…

27 comments:

  1. A reason for her to speak with Luca, and maybe find some more truths. It is sad that she thinks he is simply playing mind games. I understand why, but, it's sad to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fae, I also think it's sad, but like you I can understand why she'd think that. Hopefully Luca will be able to convince her otherwise someday. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. off to see Luca!!! I wonder how much truth he will give her. Will he really let her know that her father is alive and trapped just like his brother? OMG the next chapter could be explosive depending on what she learns and how she handles it. Bring it now!!! I need to know, is been building to giving Cade this piece of info. I'm ready for her to know about her father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaz,

      I just smiled so wide when I saw your comment. If Twinbrook cooperates, there should be an update tomorrow.

      And yes, you right, their talk could get pretty explosive!

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. Yes, Cade, go to Luca NOW!
    I'm really looking forward to that conversation. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, you too. You just made me smile with the "NOW".
      Hoefully they don't murder each other when they do finally talk. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. ohhhhh, this could be bad..so she's off to see Luca. Not sure how it will go with how they left things the last time they were together, will be very interesting.....edenz~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she's off to see him. You could be right, about it being bad. We'll see later today just ow nasty it gets. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  5. Cad must love & hate it at the same time that all the answers lie with Luca!
    I know I do... :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cadence needs answers and she is off and to see him. To see her mum poses with Luca must have been a shock but it was never Luca hiding anything.

    Sonja will have more explaining to do but it is nice to see she wants to know more about her father and not just rely on information by her mum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Luca never hid anything from her. I don't think Sonja can explain any more than she already has, she's told Cadence everything she knows.

      Thsnks for reading.

      Delete
  7. ~ The one person she does not want to talk too right now is the one whom she must speak too!
    ~ At least she knows he will tell her the truth,he said "when you are ready I will tell you the whole truth!"
    ~ Things are getting electric,an explosion is imminent!Sonja,hide!(I feel sorry for Sonja,she does not know that Warrick lives!)
    ~ I can not wait for more,I am on the edge of my seat!MORE!
    ~ I loved it by the way,always!(",)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karima,

      Yeah, Luca has been saying that right from the start.
      Lol, at the imminent explosion. The question is who will it affect the most though?
      I'm glad you loved it, and thanks for reading.

      Delete
  8. Oh wow. So she's searching for info on her father, hopefully she finds out the truth about the newborns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next chapter should clear up a lot of things for her. Thanks for commenting Pixx!

      Delete
  9. It's good that Cadence is searching for answers. I hope that this time she learns the full truth. She is entitled to know!

    I can't wait till the next chapter! She's going to see Luca again, and I can't wait to see how they react to each other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, she needs to learn the full truth. Hopefully she csn handle it. The next update is ready, I just need to post it blogger. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  10. Aw, shucks. I look like "the typical geek one always sees in movies, with glasses and all." That cuts :<

    It's about time we learn about her father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, sorry, MissAnne, it wasn't meant to cut you. But fom your screen name I'm going to assume you're a female, and so far all the female geeks I've seen in movies are hot, so you must be a pretty hot geek :-)

      Agreed, it has been a long time coming.

      Thanks for reading and for commenting!

      Delete
    2. I hate it when Hollywood movies do that. They always choose a pretty actress to play the shy, nerdy girl-- only she'll be given glasses, frumpy clothes, and a bad haircut. By the end of the movie, she always undergoes a "transformation" to show that she was beautiful all along.

      It's sooo cliche and corny. Lol, I'm just an average looking person. Which is okay too :<

      Delete
    3. That's very true, average looking is okay.

      Delete
  11. Oooo she knows that Luca knew her dad! Glad she found some information, can't wait to find out what happens next! *goes to see*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TW, yeah she finally knows the truth now. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  12. So finally back to reading :) And I can only say, go Cade go! The fun part is when your behind with the reading you can read more then one chapter. *big smile*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Off to see Luca now! Well about time Cade! XD

    ReplyDelete
  14. A good decision! :) I wonder why she hasn't triggered when her mother showed her the photo album back at home.

    ReplyDelete