Type: Series
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Rating: M
Characters: Cadence, Luca, Rachel, Sonja
Word Count: 1495
Word Count: 1495
Glossary:
Warning: nasty photoshopped rain and lightning
What would you do if I kissed you?
What would you do I held your hand and laid you down
Would you recognize it's a need I've been fighting for so long
Would you recognize it's a hunger only you can fill?
I'd Like-Freshly Ground
Cadence wanted to cry as she packed her bags and prepared to leave. She’d thought some time apart from Sonja would put things into perspective but it hadn’t. In fact being away from home had left her feeling more confused and vulnerable.
She’d hoped her mom would initiate the first contact and beg her to come home, but so far Sonja had listened to her parting shot and stayed away, giving her all the space and time in the world to work through her anger.
Another person who’d stayed away was Luca. Cadence had seen him around town a few times, but apart from a courteous nod, he’d said nothing to her. She didn’t blame him; after all she did ask him to stay away from her.
“Hey, so this is it?” Rachel cried when she walked into the room and found her gazing out of the window, she’d just come back from her morning jog with Rudi.
“Yeah, vacation is over. I can’t keep hiding here. I was hoping mom would break first, but it’s been two weeks, that woman is as stubborn as mule. I have to work things out with her,” Cadence replied. She closed her backpack with such force Rachel thought the zipper would break off.
“I can come with you if you want, you know, to smooth things over?” Rachel offered as she took off her training shoes and stripped down to her underwear.
Cadence shook her head, she’d be okay, she didn’t need a handler…
Almost ten minutes later Cadence was greeted by silence when she got home; Sonja volunteered at the Homeless Shelter on Thursdays.
“So much for the warm welcome,” she muttered under her breath as she made her way to her room.
Her disappointment quickly vanished when she saw the gift bag on her desk. She remembered it from the last time she was there, but in her haste to leave she’d forgotten all about it.
Cadence looked through the bag now and pulled out a music box, a mummy ballerina sprung to life when she pried it open. The music was from Swan Lake, and it instantly transported her back to her own performance two years earlier.
The moment the music died down, the mummy ballerina stopped dancing too, and with shaky hands Cadence reached for the origami inside the box.
She could hear his voice in her head as she read the message. “Never stop.”
His words left a sharp ache in her heart and she wished she could go back and change their outcome at the beach. She wished she could change a lot of things too, starting with who they are.
“Oh Luca! Why can’t you leave me alone?” She threw her face in her hands and cried for all the things they’d never have.
She didn’t know how long she lay on her bed, crying her eyes out, but when she heard the front door open, alerting her of Sonja’s return, she quickly brushed away her tears and blew her nose before she went to greet her.
Sonja was in the kitchen, packing away the groceries when she came in.
“Hi mom,” Cadence cried from the doorway. Sonja turned from the fridge, a look of surprise and relief danced in her eyes.
“Cade, you’re home?” She asked. She sounded unsure, but a little hopeful too.
“Yes. I am,” Cadence nodded as she helped her with the rest of the groceries.
For a while they worked in silence as they prepared a late lunch of macaroni and cheese.
“Cade, I’m really sorry about everything. I shouldn’t have misled you like that and the past two weeks I’ve been doing a lot of thinking. There’s so much I’ve kept from you, but I think you deserve to know the whole truth. Everything.” Sonja opened the conversation when they sat down to eat.
Without saying more she left her place at the table and rushed to her room. Moments later she came back with a battered photo album Cadence had seen amongst Sonja’s things from the past, things she was never allowed to play with, look through or ask about.
Sonja pushed the album towards her; it made a soft grating sound on the surface.
For the longest of times Cadence didn’t say anything, her stomach was in knots and her hands shook vigorously as she ate her food. She really didn’t know how much more truth she could take and she told Sonja this.
“I know. And I’m sorry. But you’ve always wanted to know about your father. Here he is. Everything. I was wrong to keep him away from you. But I thought I was protecting you,” Sonja murmured as she brought her chair closer.
They spent a large part of their afternoon looking through the photos and talking about Warrick. Cadence was devastated when she finally learned the truth about the circumstances surrounding her father’s death, her guilt settled in quicker than Sonja had anticipated.
“I sealed him in there? I let him die? You let me let him die? How could you?” She screamed at Sonja as she pushed away from the table.
“It wasn’t like that. They said they didn’t know he was in there. I’m so sorry,” Sonja sobbed and apologized over and over. But the look in Cadence’s eyes told her it was futile; their relationship was damaged beyond repair.
“You keep building me up, only to tear me down again and again. I can’t do this anymore,” Cadence whispered before she ran out of the door…

She kept right on running, she had to keep moving, if she stayed still long enough she was convinced her guilt would catch up with her and tear her apart.
Soon though her legs buckled under the pressure and she fell on the rotting wood on the footbridge and cried as she rocked herself back and forth, unfazed by the rain and cold. She’d never felt so much rage in her life, and she was horrified at herself and what’d done to her own father. A small part of her knew it wasn’t her fault, she was just a baby then and she’d had no say in the matter. But another part, the one being weighed down by guilt refused to absolve her, refused to give her the quiet she so desperately wanted then.
Her ass on the wet floor grew numb and she forced herself to get up. When she turned around she was stunned to see Luca there.
It was the first time in two weeks they’d come face to face. Just looking at him hurt her, he was everything she wanted but could never have.
She tried to move past him, but he pulled her to him. The gentle way he held her and brushed her hair away from her face made her cry even harder.
“I sealed him in there. Along with your brother and everyone else! I understand now why you hate me so much, why you don’t want to be with me, because I hate myself just as much. I let my own father die,” she wept on his chest.
“I could never hate you, Cadence. And I told you before, whenever you’re ready to know the truth you know where to find me,” Luca murmured consolingly.
The moment she heard the word “truth” Cadence bolted again. But Luca caught up with her swiftly and held her in place.
“Why did you run off like that?” He asked as he tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear; his touch was brief, fleeting, unreal, and so cold, and Cadence found herself holding her breath, craving more of him, remembering their time at the beach when he’d almost made love to her.
“I can’t take any more truths today. Maybe tomorrow. Today I wouldn’t mind a lie or two,” she explained.
Before the words were even out, Luca had already pulled in her a heated embrace and he was kissing her.
It felt very much like all their other kisses. Magical. And just for a little while, she got carried away in his lie. She’d take it any day; it didn’t hurt like Sonja’s truth…
“Let’s get you home,” he murmured when they pulled apart. Cadence wanted to protest and reclaim his lips. She didn’t want the lie to be over so soon. She wanted to hang on to it, and its falsehood, it had no expectations, no promises. Just the here and the now. Nothing more. But Luca had already turned away and started down the bridge. She reluctantly followed him, struggling to keep up with his long strides.
“I know you said you don’t want to hear any more truths today. But that kiss wasn’t a lie, Cadence. It was the truth. I think you can handle a little more if you open yourself up for it.”
“No, Luca. No more truths,” she shook her head and ran inside the house…





















Cadence I hope you listen to him and as for Luca, he needs her as much as she needs him.
ReplyDeleteThey deserve to be happy with each other.
Lckygrl,
DeleteYou sound a little gentler now when you mention Luca. Does this mean all is forgiven now? LOL.
Thanks for reading!
The moments with Luca and Cadence - beautiful.
ReplyDeleteCadence has every right to be angry with her mother. Her mother may have been misled, but I think the entire outcome would have been different had she not withheld important things from Cadence.
Loved the pictures and the words. Wonderful :)
Fae,
Delete*blushes* Thank you.
I totally get what you mean about Cadence and Sonja, and you're right, the outcome might have been different if she knew the truth from the start.
Thanks so much for reading!
I'm also a fan of Luca's Truths... I'd take them over Sonja's any time! LOL
ReplyDeleteI like the title. That was a well-thought title, with all the truth telling and hurting that's been going on lately, maybe a lie or two would make things better... Yes, beautiful.
...and CONGRATULATIONS Sonja... what a way to play your daughter in the hands of the enemy. She just got home and then your truth just made her bolt out again... way to go! Sonja is going at this all wrong, she's been spinning all these lies all these years and expects Cade to accept them all at once like a good little girl.
Well, Sonja, it doesn't work that way. I do hope they will get past this soon because it is kinda cruel to Sonja, but what she did was equally cruel, so...
I love these two... I can't help it... But if he keeps kissing her like that, there will come a time when it's not going to be enough and even he won't have the strength to pull away. I hope for Julian's sake, it happens after the ritual Hahahaha!
Great emotion-filled chapter Val!
JM,
DeleteYou mean his "lies?" LOL. I hear you. I'd take them any day too. Yum, yum, yum!
Thank you, I thought the title was fitting too.
That's true, she should have known that nothing good would ever come out of all the years of lying, she thought she was doing the right thing, by keeping things from her, but her actions have cost her dearly now.
For sure, I can see it happening, Luca losing control, but yeah for Julian's and everyone else's sake in that cellar let's hope he doesn't. Not until they are out at least.
Thanks for reading!
Tears are still in my eyes. So beautiful and so sad! Poor, poor Cadence! So much guilt and none of it her fault. I love how Luca was with her.
ReplyDeleteI also feel for Sonja though. I hope that eventually she and Cadence can become close again.
I agree with Jean-Marie! Another great emotion-filled chapter!
Daisies,
Deletehere's a hug for making you teary eyed a lot lately. I promise I'll be on my best behavior with future episodes, no more tears.
Luca knew she was hurting, he couldn't stay away even if he'd wanted to.
Right now, it doesn't look like Sonja and Cade will work things out, but who knows what the future holds, they are family after all.
Thanks for reading.
haha, Have to laugh about JM reply. I like Luca truths too :P
ReplyDeleteAlso the pictures with the rain and lighting are beautiful Val. You made me fall in love with Twinbrook all over again :)
I think Cade will want to help Luca more now when she learns her father lives. I wonder what Sonja would do.
Luca should just be honest about the why and take a gamble and give her his heart. I think the poor girl deserves it.
Cadence likes his 'lies' even better!
DeleteThank you, I'm glad you think the shots were beautiful, still learning photoshop, so I'm a little green with effects. Twinbrook is a beautiful town, I love it as much as I love Bridgeport.
I think you're right, this last episode with Sonja may just drive her straight into Luca's arms.
He should, but sometimes what we need and what we deserve are not always the same thing.
Thanks for reading!
Awwwww Luca!!!
ReplyDeletePoor Cade, Sonja shouldn't have hid so much from her for so long, the poor kids is confused. *sigh*
LOL @ your "Awwww Luca!!!" Does this mean you forgive him now?
DeleteThanks for reading!
Aww, so beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI really really hope Cade and Luca can work this out. He seems to be trying, anyway.
And, Sonja, man, that's got to be hard, knowing she sealed her husband in like that. With their daughter's blood, even.
Melissa,
DeleteAw, thanks *blushes*
He is trying to work things out with her, but he won't push. He realizes she's at a fragile place right now, he'll take things at her pace.
You're right, it is hard on Sonja and that's another reason she kept the truth from Cadence, she didn't want her to carry the same guilt as her.
Thanks for reading!
wow I never expected the truth to come from Sonja. I fully expected it to be Luca or even Andrew or April who told her in hopes of getting her blood. Just when Cade was ready to try with her mom again, bombshell. That poor girl, I so feel for her and what she's in the middle of.
ReplyDeleteLuca, those two, that was so very sweet. She needed him at that moment and he was there for her. I just love him. On the downside when he tells her that other truth, I fear she will be just as angry with him as she is with her mom. He's known all this time her father was in there, alive. She's going to be even more devastated to know she didn't help him sooner.
Now I fear for her even more once/if she becomes willing after she learns about her dad. That female hunter (forget her name) is scary and I think she would try to either kill or have Cade de-virgined (not a real word I know lol).
Oh what a tangled web you weave Val! :)
Jaz,
DeleteThe two weeks apart did Sonja a lot to think about and she realized her mistakes and shortcomings, it's just too bad that she decided to be truthful when it was way too late.
He knew she was in pain and she needed him, through their blood bond, and he couldn't stay away when she was hurting. And you're right about her reaction when she finally learns the other truth. Hopefully he'll handle it well.
Ava is erratic so you have every reason to be concerned.
Thanks for reading!
So whose house did he bring her back to? Sonja's? That hardly seems like her home anymore.
ReplyDeleteMaddy,
DeleteHe took her back to her place. And you're right, it doesn't feel like her home anymore with everything she's been through over the past few weeks.
Thanks for stopping by!
"You can't handle the truth!"
ReplyDeleteI just thought my comment should start with that! These truths are heavy and seem to be bogging Cadence down. It seems her and Luca always meet at that bridge, it is a great spot and the pictures (The rain, lightning, and i'm sure thunder) fit the mood really well there along with the writing! I know shes not likely to forgive Sonja anytime soon, but I hope she does!
LOL @ Aeon, I could just hear you say that with so much passion.
DeleteYou're right though, she can't handle the truth. It's way too heavy for her. And I love that bridge, it's perfect for them. I guess when and if they finally get together, it will be their special place. I hope so too, about her forgiving Sonja. It would be such a shame if she doesn't.
Thanks for reading!
Well, one thing that will help ease Cadence's mind - her father is still alive (if I remember correctly). It's nice that Luca is there for her, and those are some sweet couples poses. Please, wherever did you get them?! :D Thanks! I can't wait to find out what happens next!!!
ReplyDeleteTW,
DeleteYes, knowing Warrick is alive could give her some relief. The couple poses are from Oh My Sims: http://blog.yam.com/happyme77. It's pose box #9.
Ah dear, Sonja you have really broke the camels back now. She is trying to set things right now, trying to start with the truth (maybe a little too soon) and it turns sour again. Poor Sonja might be feeling that nothing she ever does will ever be the right thing. I feel sorry for her and her own pain that she is going through. People tend to forget the mothers side too.
ReplyDeleteAs for Cade, she needs to stop running away every time she hears something she doesnt like! If she doesnt get all the facts then she is just hurting herself more. She should of heard her mother out the way she should have heard Luca out that night at the beach. Maybe she would prefer to hear it all from Luca, lets hope that she sits still long enough for Luca to tell her everything.
Oh Cade... she has to pull herself together. She had some time away because she was confused and angry, but she's still not ready to hear what she needs to hear? Her mom might be awkward, but who wouldn't be in such a situation?
ReplyDeleteLuca was sweet though. I understand that she doesn't trust him, but she should at least listen to him.