Volume 1.25: The First Cut Is The Deepest

Type: Series
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Rating: M
Characters:  Andrew, April, Cadence, Luca, Rachel, Willow
Word Count: 813
Glossary: 
Warning: 


But when it comes to being lucky, he's cursed
When it comes to lovin' me, he's worst
The First Cut Is The Deepest-Sheryl Crow
The days following the meteor shower were unbearable for everyone in the Delacroix manor.
Luca's mood changed from gloomy to enraged very quickly. When he wasn’t staring mournfully outside his window, he was constantly on every one's throats. Little things, like when they innocently mentioned Cadence in passing, sent him flying in a rage. He was like a bear with a sore head and talking to him was just impossible.
He ventured less and less to the cellar too, choosing to spend his days on his piano. And on more than one occasion April had to lie to Julian and the others whenever they asked after him, assuring them Luca was fine and they were on track with their plan.
But truth be told their plan was going pear-shaped, fast. And if nothing was done soon, if Luca was left to self-destruct, they were afraid he'd take everyone down with him...

"We have to talk to him, get him to open up somehow. If you were all not so obsessed with hating Cadence, he'd take his chances with her, risk her coven's wrath. But he's worried about the clan too. Worried about everyone's feelings and it's tearing him up," Willow mused as she stared into the fire; they were in the living room, trying to ignore the mournful sounds of the piano drifting from Luca's room upstairs.
"So this is our fault now? We warned him not to fall in love with the enemy. She’s just a means to an end. And he lost sight of our goals!" April hissed from her little corner.

"He knew the rules," Andrew added.
"Love has no rules. If it did, you and I wouldn't be together right now," Willow pointed out.

April and Andrew kept quiet, both thinking about her words. She was right; they couldn't fault Luca for falling in love. But this was Cadence. The daughter of the enemy.  They could never accept her...NEVER!
The young woman responsible for the oppressive mood in the Delacroix manor was having an equally difficult time.

Unlike Luca though, she didn't take out her heartache on everyone, instead, Cadence spent more and more time in dance class, sweating off her anger.
She was hurt and disappointed that Luca had made little effort to reach out to her after their encounter at the beach. She thought he'd come back to his senses and give in to her. But on the third day when she still hadn’t heard from him she finally admitted defeat, and it didn't take long for her depression to settle in.

Rachel knew the real reason behind her pain; after all they talked about him all the time, late into the night until they both passed out from exhaustion.

But Rudi just assumed she wasn't handling her breakup from Mitchell. She'd finally done it, broken things off with him. He'd taken it surprisingly well, no tantrums, no threats, nothing, just an understanding smile which had made her feel like a total bitch.
When Emme announced the big boys from Bridgeport Dance Co. wanted her, Cadence couldn't feign excitement. But as the days dredged on, and she didn't hear from Luca she began to seriously consider the offer from Bridgeport. It seemed more and more appealing. A fresh start. Away from Twinbrook. Away from all the hate between her coven and Luca's clan. Away from her heartache…
When she told Rachel she was thinking of going up to Bridgeport, her friend cried. She was happy for her, happy that she would finally get the recognition she deserved. But she was sad too.

"You can always come with me if I decide to go," Cadence told her one evening after dinner.
"And do what?" her friend asked.

"I don't know...paint, work at a gallery. Rudi can come with us too," Cadence replied.

Rachel kept quiet, thinking about her suggestion, the intense frown in her eyes told Cadence she was seriously considering it but she wouldn't make a decision yet. She'd have to talk to Stella and Rudi.
Later as they were getting ready for bed, the subject came up again, but it took on a different direction this time.

"Cade, are you going to Bridgeport because you want to or are you running away?" Rachel came right out and asked her.

"Of course I'm not running away, I want this," Cadence protested.
"I thought fame wasn't your thing?" Rachel pointed out as she got under the covers.

"Now it is," Cadence flicked off her light angrily and fluffed up her pillows.
For a long time she lay in the dark, thinking about her friend’s question. Rachel was right. Fame wasn’t her thing. She loved Twinbrook. But Luca was everywhere
now.

“Cade, I’m sorry I asked,” Rachel’s voice broke through her thoughts.

“It’s okay,” Cadence reached for her friend’s hand on the pillow and squeezed it…

18 comments:

  1. They need to bang their heads together and be totally honest with each other.

    Fame is not her thing and she should stay sort this out then make the decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lckygrl,

      Yes, they do need to be totally honest with each other, but they have so many odds stacked against them.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. the two of them are both suffering and refuse to deal with each other. they are both so stubborn right now and Rachel is correct, if Cade leaves it will be because she's running away.

    Willow is becoming a real voice of reason. Andrew and April can't fault him for falling in love, no one has control over that. Cade is not the enemy, she is an innocent victim in all of this. being pulled in a million directions because everyone wants something from her. luca does sorta understand what this is doing to her, but he's being too much of a jerk right now to express that clearly to her.

    I feel for Cade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaz,

      They are proving to be more and more alike with each chapter, but something's got to give, or at least one of them has to give in. And Rachel was spot on about Cadence running away.

      Luca's camp does need Willow, if she wasn't around, they'd probably have killed each other by now, or at least killed Luca since he's failing to deliver his part of the deal. She's really their voice of reason.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. Whooo, I felt the disturbance in the force... Don't wanna go near that manor right now *shiver*

    These two just make me mad and crack me up at the same time. They're both miserable, both pining for each other and both to stubborn to just call the other...

    *forehead hits desk*

    Luca and Cade... tsk tsk tsk!
    Another 'relaxing' update! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL @ JM and the "disturbance in the force". Me too, I don't wanna go anywhere near Luca.

      Cadence did ask Luca to stay away, and he's listening to her.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. The pictures in the manor impress a haunting nature, probably much like Luca's heart feels right now. I see his dilemma and I am glad Willow has some sense into his behaviour.

    A move for Cadence might be very good, distance and all. She may also be out of eye/earshot of the Coven, although being in a bustling city may lead her places she doesn't really intend to go.

    I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fae,

      Yes, I played around with the lighting in the manor to give it that gloomy feel. It's exactly how Luca's feeling.

      I think you're right, a move for Cade might be exactly what she needs right now.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. Once again, Willow is right. Why don't they listen to her?

    It's really sad how people (or vampires, lol) can't get over themselves and see things from another perspective. April and Andrew are so stuck on the idea that Cade is the enemy, and the coven is so stuck to the idea that Luca is the enemy, etc, etc, that they can't see what's what.

    I hope Cade and Luca can find some way to get past all that and get themselves together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa,

      They'd all be so much happier if they listened to Willow. And I like what you said, but the Vamps and witches not seeing things from the other's side.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  6. Cade and Luca are going to drive each other insane!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, they are going to drive each crazy if they don't sort things out and soon too.

      Thanks for reading Pixx.

      Delete
  7. Okay, now I see how in the middle Luca is too! He's as miserable as Cadence is. I agree, they need to listen to Willow. That would make things easier for Luca and for Cadence.

    Rachel was right, Cadence is running away. It's sad for them both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nedra,

      Yes, he's just as sad as she is, he'd love nothing more than to be with her, but their circumstances don't allow them.

      She's definitely running away, but a fresh start isn't necessarily a bad thing.

      Delete
  8. Rachel is such a good friend. It would be fun to see Cade becoming famous in Bridgeport. Who knows maybe befriend the frosts. hehe
    I wonder what she would do now. Same goes for Luca.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad Rachel is being supportive despite the hatred between the clan and coven. I'm still rooting for Cadence and Luca to get together, hopefully they both come to their senses. I wonder if she will actually go to Bridgeport...looking forward to more! And you use great poses too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh...all these problems concerning the heart is giving me headache. They just need to come clean to each other about their feelings. The run around is getting annoying. Once they come clean about how they feel and lay all the cards on the table, I can bet that they will see the future very clearly on what they each need to do.

    Running away never solves anything, it just prolongs the confrontation and prolonging just makes it all the more harder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really really love Willow. She's the voice of reason.
    And somehow, I think Cadence should accept the Bridgeport offer. That's what I'd do at least! But I know it cannot end that way. :)

    ReplyDelete