Type: Series
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Rating: M
Characters: Sonja, Warrick
Word Count: 3447
Word Count: 3447
Glossary: Mystik Dust-a magical reagent used virtually for everything in "good/white" magic.
Warning: nudity, adult situationsI believe in you
I'll give up everything just to find you
I have to be with you to live, to breathe
You're taking over me...
Taking Over Me-Evanescence
The day after Luca and his clan left, Cadence stayed in bed. She refused to leave her room, refused to eat too.
Sonja left her alone, giving her all the space she needed. She didn’t like that Cadence was skipping school, especially so close to her exams. But she understood that her daughter was mourning the loss of a relationship, a relationship that was doomed to fail had she not intervened.
She didn’t think Luca was worth crying over, and she could give her daughter a long list of reasons why she was better off without him. But she was once Cadence’s age, and she’d gone through quite a few heartbreaks before she met Warrick so she understood her daughter’s pain all too well.
The mere thought of her husband reduced Sonja to tears. She left the sofa and scurried to her room. She’d spent the evening alone, had dinner alone too because Cadence was on a hunger strike. Chances of her leaving her room were slim to none, but still, on the off chance that she did venture out, Sonja didn’t want her to see her in tears.
She threw herself on her bed and buried her face on her soft downy pillows; her loud sobs filled the empty silence.
She’d cried and grieved a billion times over the last twenty years for the loss of her soul mate, but Cadence had never seen her heartbreak because she hid it so well.
She wondered if she’d ever get over her loss, if her heartache would ever go away. She didn’t think so. She never got a chance to say goodbye to him. And she never had a funeral for him because there was no body to bury.
The rational part of her knew he was dead; no human would have survived that long locked away with several enraged Vampires. But another part of her, the sentimental side, the one that refused to let her move away even when Luann and the others had begged her to leave town and start afresh, couldn’t help but wish and hope he was still alive.
Some days she liked to imagine he’d transitioned and she’d often wonder what he’d look like as a Vampire. Warrick was roguishly handsome as a human, as a Vampire he would have broken thousands of hearts.
Sonja laughed at how silly she was, acting like a school girl and fantasizing about Vampires.
With tears flooding her eyes, making it hard for her to see, she rose from the soft mattress to rummage through her closet. A second later she drifted back to the bed and plopped up her pillows.
She knew she shouldn’t. Looking at the photographs always did more damage than good, but with Cadence shutting her out, she desperately wanted to remember her past with Warrick.
She leafed through the album, smiling and crying at the same time as each flick of the pages transported her back to certain moments in history, moments when her life was enchanted with love and magic…
She met Warrick Kent on her fortieth birthday. Luann had insisted on throwing a small birthday party for her at Barb’s Diner, she’d said only about ten people or so would be there, twenty at most.
But Sonja had almost gotten a heart attack when she walked into the diner and the whole town, or what would fit of it, cried ‘Happy Birthday’. Everyone had showed up to celebrate her milestone, even Hannah and James, Luca and Julian’s parents. The brothers were there too, with April and a few Vampires from their clan.
She’d made her escape as soon as she could after accepting the thousands of warm wishes from the party goers; she was a private person, preferring small crowds over big groups.
When she sneaked out back, to the kiddies swings, she hadn’t expected to find anyone else there because no one in their right minds, unless they were weird like her, would have traded the warmth inside the diner for the blistering cold outside.
But Warrick was there, blissfully swinging along and watching the stars.
There was only one swing. The other had been broken for years, and Bob, Barb’s husband, had never bothered to fix it, so Sonja stayed on the sidelines and waited her turn. But after thirty minutes of him hogging the swing set, she finally grew a pair and demanded to play too.
“I was starting to think you can’t talk.” Those were his first words, simple and boring. Not the greatest conversation starter. But she was hooked. It was the voice that had gotten her. Smooth and deep, not as deep as Romulus'. But perfect. Like ice-cream on an unbearably hot summer’s day.
She didn’t remember what she said to him, but she must have croaked something because the next thing she knew she was on the swing and he was standing behind her, pushing her higher and higher with his strong hands, seducing her with his gentle voice to reach up and touch the moonlit sky.
In twenty minutes they’d traded their life stories.
Sonja learned he was recently divorced. He had no kids from the failed marriage and he’d just moved to Twinbrook to start over. She also found out he was Julian’s literary agent and they were very close.
“What about you? Besides being the birthday girl, what’s your story?” Warrick had suddenly stopped her momentum and held the swing in place. His intense chocolate brown gaze on her gave her butterflies and she’d blushed like a school girl.
When she shook her head and told him there was nothing to tell, he’d mercilessly tickled her ear with a small blade of grass till she agreed to tell him at least one thing about herself.
The one thing had led to twenty things and before long she’d summarized her whole life story. He wasn’t shocked that she was a Witch, he’d seen crazier things working for a Vampire.
He was surprised though that she wasn’t married, she had never even walked down the aisle, and that she didn’t have any kids.
His question when he’d asked if she batted for the other team had made her laugh, but she’d assured him she didn’t; she just hadn’t found the right man.
A strange silence had settled between them then, and as if it was the most natural thing to do in the world, he’d leaned down and kissed her, it was so soft, so fleeting, she’d thought she’d imagined it.
“Happy birthday,” Warrick had smiled at her when he pulled away and she’d stupidly grinned back at him, tongue tied and pleasantly amazed at his boldness.
Soon after that they’d drifted back inside the diner and didn’t run into each other for the rest of the night.
Two weeks passed, and then three, without hearing from him, or bumping into him around town. By the fourth week she’d put him out of her mind and chalked him down as one of her many ‘could have beens’.
And then out of the blue, on a hot summer’s morning, Warrick had showed up at her house unannounced. She was outside, hanging the newly washed laundry on the clothesline and she’d stopped mid-action to stare at the vision of perfection climbing out of the old 1950 Ford F1 Pickup truck.
Her heart had lurched to her throat just as her brain grew numb, rendering her silly and girlish for a few minutes: Warrick looked suave in his faded blue jeans, a white t-shirt and a brown Stetson hat.
When he pulled her in a warm embrace she didn’t resist, instead, she’d wrapped herself tightly around him and greedily took in his overpowering presence.
While he finger combed her hair with one hand and cradled the curve of her ass with the other, he’d explained that he’d gone back to Hidden Springs to finalize his move. He didn’t have her phone number so he couldn’t call her. But since he was permanently in Twinbrook he wanted to see her often.
Sonja had blushed and stuttered an incomprehensible string of nonsense. But it had made sense to him because the next thing she knew she was sitting beside him in the truck and they were singing along to Rolling Stones all the way to the beach.
Their first date was magical.
They’d goofed around in the sand, drank wine, ate strawberries and cream and built sandcastles.
Warrick also gave her a crash course on fishing and she’d squealed like a fan girl when she caught her first gold fish.
Later, just as the sun was setting in the horizon, Warrick had stripped down to his underwear and went for a swim in the ocean, and she’d drooled all of his chiseled body, wondering what it would feel like pressed up against hers. She didn’t have to wonder long, when he came out of the water and joined her on the picnic blanket, they’d shared their first real kiss, and it took a mere fifteen minutes for him to get to second base.
He’d felt like heaven on top of her, with the bulge in his damp underwear firmly pressing on her thigh, her moans, as he’d stroked her breasts and teased her nipples, had been louder than the gentle waves slapping at their bare feet.
The sudden sounds of laughter had forced to them to pull apart. A small crowd of teenagers had run down from the pier to their secluded alcove. She and Warren had spent the rest of their evening watching the stars and sharing intimate looks and secret jokes.
Sonja never thought she’d find love at forty and at first she’d felt strange about going on dates and doing things young kids do, but Warrick had soon fixed that. With his spontaneity he’d kept her on her toes and made her feel young again, their dates were always an adventure and they rarely did the same things over and over.
Each outing with him was different; he’d take her picnicking, to the movies, the concert, the theatre, the flea market, virtually everywhere. And it wasn’t long before she realized, it wasn’t the activities she liked so much, it was the company she loved. If he’d taken her to clean stables or pick up dog poo, she would have gladly done it because she loved spending time with him.
Every time in Warrick’s arms was like awakening to a new day full of wonder and excitement and she knew she’d never tire of making love with him.
He became her drug very quickly. They’d make love every chance they get and anywhere they could too. So finding out they were expecting Cadence two years into their relationship didn’t come as a surprise.
A week after discovering they were expecting, Warrick proposed and she accepted. To avoid their day being turned into a Twinbrook circus, three days later, on a cold winter morning, they were married at City Hall, Luann and Julian were their witnesses. Later that day, when the Delacroix’s heard about their nuptials, they were kind enough to offer them their vacation home in Barnacle Bay for their honeymoon and they’d gratefully accepted.
The little they’d seen of Barnacle Bay was gorgeous, but they knew it wasn’t as breathtaking as the days they’d spent holed up in the cabin, enjoying their newlywed status.
In the months leading up to their daughter’s birth Warrick was a great husband and an even better soon-to-be father, he was attentive to her needs and he’d catered for her every whim.
It was a blissful period for them. Things were perfect, not only within their marriage, but with the coven and the relations between the Vampires, Witches and the Wolves of Twinbrook. The only thing missing was Cadence and they couldn’t wait to meet her and love her forever.
But then tragedy struck the Delacroixs. Luca and Julian lost their parents. Hannah was brutally murdered and James died of a broken heart from losing her. Julian took his father’s place as the clan’s leader and Luca returned to his residence in Hidden Springs, but he’d make appearances at the monthly Courts Julian insisted on hosting in memory of his father’s legacy.
With Luca gone and their parents dead, Julian had relied more and more on Warrick, he wasn’t just his literary agent anymore, he was his best friend, and had Warrick been a Vampire, he would have been his right-hand man too in running the clan.
Warrick did his best to balance his work and home life, and Sonja was patient with him, she understood he was the only person Julian could count on. She also knew that the kind of salary Julian was paying Warrick would go a long way to securing their daughter’s future.
On June 21, 1991, with the help of her coven, Sonja and Warrick welcomed Cadence into the world. Julian gave Warrick a month off to spend time with his new daughter.
For six blissful days Sonja had Warrick to herself, and they bonded with their new daughter. Sonja had loved to watch him cradle Cadence and sing to her, he was gentle and protective of his only child, jumping at the slightest of her cries, eager to put a smile on her tiny rosebud lips.
The whole time he was home with her Sonja kept thinking her life was too perfect, too good to be true, and something bad was bound to happen.
And it did. Exactly one week into Cadence’s arrival.
She was feeding Cadence in the living room, and Warrick had just started the fire in the heath when they heard the commotion outside. They’d ignored it at first, thinking it was the just rowdiness from the Vampire Court, and it was normal. But when they heard bloodcurdling screams again and again moments later, they knew something was terribly wrong.
Warrick went to check on the commotion, but not before he dropped kisses on his daughter and wife and promising them he’d be back shortly. Little did they know it would be the last time they see each other, the last time he’d hold and kiss them.
Sonja had locked the doors after Warrick left and she’d put Cadence in the crib before she drifted to the window in the living room. Nothing would have prepared her for the chaos she saw when she looked outside.
It was brutal, blood and gore everywhere, bodies strewn all over the marsh. She remembered thinking Armageddon had arrived, and she should do something to help her neighbors screaming past her house in futile attempts to get away from the bloodthirsty fledglings. A small voice inside her brain had screamed for her to run out and drag Warrick back home, but her feet had betrayed her and she’d stood dumbly on the spot until Cadence’s cries in the bedroom couldn’t be ignored anymore.
The knock at her front door just as she picked up Cadence from her crib had startled her, but she’d quickly rushed to get it, thinking Warrick was home safe and sound.
A shocked gasp had stayed lodged in her throat when she saw the look of pure horror in Luann’s and Carmella’s eyes.
Without getting into detail, her coven members explained the town was under attack, Julian’s fledglings had to be stopped, they had the Chaos Star, the words to a banishing spell and all they needed was a virgin’s blood.
Most of the fledglings were killed by the Wolves, but there were still others, along with Julian and some senior members of their clan in the cellar, plotting Lord knows what.
Sonja had just stood there, unable to process their words.
“We need Cadence’s blood,” Luann had cried, clapping her hands in front of Sonja’s eyes to get her out of her daze.
“I have to find Warrick; I think he went to Julian. I have to find him,” Sonja had cried over and over until Luann slapped her across the face.
“Warrick is fine,” Carmella had nodded her red head then.
“Did you see him? Where is he?” Sonja had asked. And Carmella had told her he was with the Wolves, helping the people who could still be saved.
“Are you sure?” she’d asked shrilly.
Again Carmella had nodded, but the look in her pale blue eyes had said what her lips could not. She wasn’t sure. She had no frigging clue where Warrick was.
Luann had stepped in again with her demands and Sonja had dazedly agreed to give them Cadence’s blood, they needed a few drops.
She’d closed her eyes, wishing she could block out her daughter’s screams when Luann pricked her tiny finger with a sharp blade and milked the crimson drops into a small vial.
Her sister and Carmella had set off soon after that, and she’d made them promise they wouldn’t seal the door until they were absolutely certain Warrick was as far away from the Delacroix manor as possible.
What happened at the Delacroix manor after her sister left, Sonja heard from different sources, including her coven members…
The three Youngblood Witches had used Mystic Dust to cloak themselves and enter the Delacroix manor undetected.
When they reached the basement, the cellar’s doors were closed; they couldn’t tell how many Vampires were inside. But they recognized Julian’s voice along with Melanie’s. They were caught up in a heated exchange with the rest, discussing ways to clean up the damage.
The majority of their group had wanted to get the hell out of Twinbrook. Julian wanted to stay and fix the mess. Others wanted to stay too, but they had revenge on their minds, the senseless killings of their fledglings couldn’t go unpunished.
And when Sonja’s coven heard this last proposed course of action they’d needed no further convincing that banishing Julian’s clan was the right thing to do.
For an act so powerful, the Witches were surprised it had taken less than ten minutes to magically seal the cellar’s door with the Chaos Star and the words to the banishing spell, and reinforce the bind with Cadence’s blood.
They left the Delacroix manor soon after the Vampires’ enraged cries (when they struggled to open the door) confirmed the bind had worked.
Luann and Carmella had returned to Sonja’s house to give her a full report. They couldn’t tell her anything about Warrick, but they assured her he was fine, someone had seen him with the Wolves.
Morning came. Bodies were hauled to the morgue. Fathers returned to their families. Mothers stayed strong for their loved ones. And Warrick didn’t come back.
Having looked everywhere for him, Sonja and Luann went down to the morgue as the last resort to look for his body. She’d cried with relief when Dr. Baker, the town’s only coroner, confirmed Warrick’s name wasn’t on the list of casualties.
They’d returned home and waited even though they knew it was pointless. Warrick would never walk through the front door because he was locked in the Delacroix cellar. They all knew it, but none of them would ever say it out loud because they’d be admitting they’d had a hand in Sonja’s heartbreak.
When the shock wore off, grief and rage moved in. Sonja had unleashed hell on her coven gathered at the community hall, preparing the venue for the mass memorial service.
“You promised me he’s okay. You told me he’s okay. You let him die in there with those bloodsuckers! You have Romulus and I have no one. No one!” She’d screamed at her sister over and over.
And Luann had feverishly begged for forgiveness, explaining the cellar’s door was closed when they got there and they had no way of knowing Warrick was inside.
“You should have known he was. He’s Julian’s best friend, that’s the first place he would have gone. He would have gone there to try and reason with him. You should have known! You promised!” Sonja had refuted her sister’s apologies and the coven had watched the sisters tear each other apart until they couldn’t watch anymore.
For hours a terrible storm had raged outside while she and Luann went at each other with their lightning bolts and fire orbs. Only Cadence’s cries (who until that moment, had been sleeping peacefully in her bassinet in the corner of the room) had pulled Sonja away from the fight…



































~ WARRICK!I feel for Sonja,she waited for a long time to find her other half & he was well worth waiting for,she does not even know he is alive, or dead!
ReplyDelete~ Cadence is taking this little enlightenment that her mother showed her,very much to heart,she truly loves the enemy!I hope Luca has a good answer to that one!
~ This thing is only going to cause heart ache,for all involved as her mother did not tell Cadence about her Father's were abouts, only that he is dead!
~ I love it as always!(",)
I imagine that's how Sonja screamed his name "Oh WARRICK!" LMAO. I know that's how I'd scream his name.
ReplyDelete-She sure did wait a long time for him, and it's sad that she hates Luca so much, if she didn't all her questions would have been answered.
-Cade is taking it very hard, and judging by the intensity of it all, Luca may not get off easily; he'd better have a miracle in his charm bag.
-I agree, it may just come back to bite the witches.
-Thanks for reading. I'll send you closeups of 'Oh Warrick', I think I took a few.
Wow I would have gone after Luann and Carmella well if I were Sonja! They didn't check, they didn't try and work with the vamps to figure out a solution. They heard 1 of many suggestions and acted on that one suggestion. I think they just wanted an excuse to try and get rid of the vampires. They didn't use reason they acted out of fear and hatred.
ReplyDeleteThey were not concerned with Sonja even after she asked them repeatedly about Warrick.
I feel for Sonja and her heartbreak. I would have cut off all ties with my sister and my coven after that! On top of their lack of concern they used his daughter to give him his death sentence. Man if Cade ever finds out not only will she be angry but she will probably feel guilty as well even though she was just a baby.
The coven robbed Sonja of her husband and Cade of her father out of fear. I can understand they were scared really I can, but it was one incident and Juilian being in charge would have (at least I hope) taken care of the fledglings and cleaned up the mess. He also would have dealt with who ever created them. They didn't give me a chance to even try. Ugh!!!
TEAM LUCA!!!! All the way now more than ever. :)
Jaz,
ReplyDeleteI know, right? Me too. I would have killed them I think. Sonja was angry no doubt, hateful too to a point towards her coven, on the other hand she's had twenty years to get a handle on her grief and anger.
And I agree with you wholeheartedly about the witches; they acted out of anger and fear, if they'd only stopped and engaged the vampires openly a lot of things would have been avoided.
True, they didn't think about Sonja's wellbeing, she was just one person in the grand scheme of things; and in their defence, they had to put the town's needs before theirs, including Sonja's.
If Cade finds out, their worst nightmares will come true; and her guilt may just push her in Luca's arms.
Julian wanted to stay and take care of the mess, him and Melanie, and if given a chance they would have. The witches know it as much as anyone else that they didn't use judgement there, that's why they couldn't even face or admit they'd had a hand in Sonja's heartbreak.
I like that, that you're still cheering for him. Maybe when you finally meet Mitchell or Ethan you'll change your mind? LMAO.
Thanks for reading.
I smell a deceitful scheme on the part of Sonja's coven. Something is amiss.
ReplyDeleteOrganisations like that give me the heebie-jeebhies. They do what they do in the grand plan they have, no regard to effects to others. or maybe I am reading too much into it? (I still think there's a corrupt 'elder')
Wonderful pictures and writing. The meeting, passion, happiness, fear and anguish were portrayed well. :)
Fae,
DeleteLMAO. I love your conspiracy theory. Maybe there is a bigger power than the witches. But so far, all signs point to them just acting irrationally and in haste.
Thank you for the compliment on the shots and the writing. And thanks for reading.
Oh, poor Sonja. Warrick is hot btw :) I also would love such a man till the end of time. What beautiful memories, but I do wonder if it all went the way they told her. She was never there. I hope Warrick is still alive. I WANT HIM TO BE STILL ALIVE, you here me? ;)
ReplyDeleteVal, its time to open the door!
Dutchy,
DeleteYes, WARRICK. He's Karima's smexy creation. He was a wonderful man, husband and father, it's hard for Sonja to get over him. I think she has questions and doubts too; if she was there, none of it would have happened. Warrick is still alive, you saw him in chapter two. And I agree, I think it's time Cadence opened the door.
Thanks for reading.
He is still alive???? Oh going to read chapter two again.
DeleteYou read so much and forgot a even amount :P
Yes he is. I know what you mean, there's just so many stories one follows I think it's a miracle we xan remember half the things we do.
DeleteIt was nice to get the inside on Sonja's past and the whole lock-'em-up incident that brought on this story.
ReplyDeleteThe witches acted too hastily. I understand the fear of the situation with the rogue fledglings, but still... Had they given it a thought, there might've been a better way.
Now a hasty decision may have brought upon them the wrath of royally pissed vamps, locked up for trying to get it under control same as the ones who locked them up.
Messy....
Loved it.
JM,
DeleteI'm glad you liked Sonja's back story. And I love the :lock-'em-up' term.
Yes, agreed, they did act hastily and if they had opened up the lines of communication with the vampires things might have ended differently.
Messy indeed!
Thanks for reading and for loving it!
Now I know more I say let them out of the cellar and let Warrick return to his family. Sonja must miss him terribly :(
ReplyDeleteLOL @ Lckygrl,
DeleteI hear you, and I agree, it's time the door was opened. Sonja does miss him, more than anyone would ever know.
Thanks for reading!
The relationship between Warrick and Sonja was so romantic and sweet! I had no idea that she had been through so much! I feel so horribly for her! I can't blame her for being enraged with her sister and the others for locking Warrick up with the vampires.
ReplyDeleteThe whole situation was a big mess! Now Cadence is in the middle. I'm glad to know that her mother was not directly responsible.
Such a good chapter, Val! I really loved it!
Warrick was really her first and only one in so many ways, and it's so unfortunate that he was taken away from her so abruptly. But the time that she had with him was magical, Warrick had delivered more than she could have ever imagined. Her hardships really show on her face, I think it's Jill who once said that, but it's true, you just have to look at het face to see where she's been. Me too, her anger was justified.
DeleteIt will give Cadence some comfort to know Sonja didn't have a direct hand in Warrick's fate when the truth eventually comes out. If it will!
Thanks for reading.
Wow no wonder Sonja is so overprotective of Cade. Cade is all she has. I'm sure there's a vampire's point of view of what really happened that night...
ReplyDeletePoor Sonja, it's not fair that her sister has her husband and she's left lonely because they were careless, then again, if they'd opened that door to see who was inside it would have blown their cover...*sigh*
Yes, Cade is all she has, and if that door eventually opens and Cadence learns the truth, Sonja worries she'll lose her too. Yes, there must be, but it will only be shown in Volume 2 most likely.
DeleteI agree, it's not right, Luann really should have thought about Sonja's feelings and what sealing the door would mean for her and Cadence. Agreed on the second point too, who can say if the vampires would have been forgiven if they found them there.
Thanks for reading, Pixx.
Cripes!!!! Poor Cadence she feels betrayed by Luca, but god knows how she's going to feel when she hears this revelation, if she's reconciled with Luca then surely this will push her further into his arms, which in turn will make it easy for her to decide to help Luca because she will feel she's been betrayed by her family and especially if Luca told her that her father is alive.
ReplyDeleteAs for the witches, well I hope they get their just deserts as they used Sonja,Cadence and made Warrick suffer when he's an innocent bystander, I just hope Sonja decides to help Luca too.
Hugs
Sue,
Delete*hugs*
I think "Cripes!!!!" sums up the whole situation perfectly and I must say I like your thinking very much where Cadence and Luca are concerned. She does feel betrayed by him, but it will be nothing compared to what she'll feel when she finally learns the truth, especially if Luca is the one who enlightens her.
I think Sonja would be open to helping Luca if she knew Warrick was still alive. If she could just calm down long enough to hear him out, Luca may just achieve his goals...and much sooner too.
Thanks for reading and your feedback, I appreciate your thoughts.
Another chapter I love dearly.
ReplyDeleteI thank you for creating a chapter where we could see the backstory of Sonja and her reasons, her purpose of being overprotective of Cade. That child is all she has, the only person she had to give her love to.
She is has such heartbreak, losing Warrick. She had twenty years of not knowing where if he was alive, of fantasizing if he was a vampire or if his bones were dusty down in that cellar. Its so heartbreaking..so terribly sad, to be so close to him yet so far!
I was so happy to know of Sonja and Warrick's tale, but to know the ending...
I kinda see that Sonja really had no say in this. She was in a daze I think, giving permission to take her daughter's blood. She did not perform the ritual herself. She is was confused and worried and just wanted to know where Warrick was.
Her sister and the others that performed the ritual were careless in not checking who else was in the room. They just heard Julian and a few comments and wasted no time in locking the room. But as said above me, they really had no choice either...they would have lost the element of surprise, and would have been found out..but then Julian did not want revenge, he wanted to fix what was going on. I wonder if they had a meeting with all the clans, if they could have fixed and righted the wrong that the fledglings did...
I do not know how Cade would react to knowing that her father was in there and her mother knew and made no move to free him, or if she would understand that her mother had very little part in doing this and was equally hurt and not able to do anything about it.
I have no idea if Im making any sense. XD Im babbling cause I have so many new theories and questions. XD
Looking forward to the next chapter! ^^
Aw, I'm so glad you loved this chapter.
DeleteI had to show things from Sonja's end and why she does what she does, and this chapter seemed to have achieved that and I'm thrilled with the feedback I've received on it, Sonja's story was needed.
And you're right Cadence is the only person she has, the only person she's loved for the last 20 years and the reminder of a man she can't forget or let go of.
I agree, their ending as a couple was heartbreaking, but Sonja had three wonderful years and a lifetime of memories and that's what carries her through most of her days.
They were all in a daze, acting on impulse and out of fear. And I think knowing that she personally didn't have a hand in locking away Warrick, will absolve Sonja in Cadence's eyes.
I agree, they were hasty in their actions, they heard a lot of propositions but the last one just scared the shit out of them, and instead of backing off and thinking things through, they allowed their fears to consume them.
Julian most certainly didn't want revenge; he didn't create the fledglings, and they were not even part of their clan, but because they were attending the court he was hosting he felt personally responsible for them. If given a chance Julian and Melanie, with Warrick's help and others who were willing, they would have fixed things and mended the relations with the witches and wolves.
It will be a bitter pill to swallow for Cadence, and since Sonja has a history of lying to her and withholding stuff from her, it will not look good for the witches.
Thanks for reading, Dusty and your engaging comment; I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.
This was a great look into the past! Warrick is an intriguing character and I look forward to seeing more of him! I think I knew the witches weren't all so good, wasn't it a few chapters ago that one of them suggested Cadence lose her virginity just so they could reach their goal?I guess they are very goal driven heh. Fear leads to the darkside....
ReplyDeleteIt's funny though I never did once think about Cadence's father until this chapter. I am hoping they are released because I'd love to see the fallout.
Aeon,
DeleteWB. It's great to hear from you.
Thank you, I'm glad you liked Sonja and Warrick's backstory. And I'm with you on Warrick, seeing him through Sonja's eyes is fascinating.
That's true, we did already figure out the witches were not the loveliest of the bunch, they act irrationally and often on impulse. It's so true, what you've said about fear.
I think right about now the witches would want to curse you for rooting for the Vamps to be released.
Thanks for reading.
Oh my! What a chapter! I'm glad I got some insight on what happened to Cadence's father. I hope he's still okay in there, but I wonder what in the world happened with the fledglings. Crazy vampires...I feel bad for Sonja though, her coven locked her husband in there. :( I hope everyone is okay!
ReplyDeleteTW,
ReplyDeleteIt's so good to hear from you. Thank you for catching up, I just need to go back to previous chapters and reply to your comments.
Warrick is still okay, hanging on, but how long he can last for is the real question. More on the fledglings will be explained in later chapters.
Sonja lost so much that night, if it wasn't for Cadence she would have fallen apart a long time ago.
Thanks for reading.