Genre: Urban Fantasy
Rating: M
Characters: Emme, Sonja, Rachel, Rudi
Word Count: 2939
Word Count: 2939
Glossary: Namaste-Hindu salutation/greeting/valediction
Warning: unusually long
This is the bad before the worse.
This is the storm before the storm
I haven't even hit the bottom of this ocean floor
This is the bend before the break
This is the mercy not the grace
This is proof and not the faith i try to find...
There shouldn't be a good in goodbye-Jason Walker
It was early dawn but it was still dark outside, and Rachel
jumped at the slightest of noises as they hurried through the woods.
Rudolf’s hand tightened
around her waist. “It’s okay, I’m here,” he whispered.
Rachel looked at him, and
flashed him a brief smile, she was trying so hard to pretend she was okay, but
he could see right through it, he could see right through her pain, and once
again he was filled with feelings of helplessness and shame.
He couldn’t protect her,
one vampire he would have handled easily, but there were six of them. “It’s no excuse,” he fumed inwardly.
Rachel squeezed his hand,
and shook her head. She could read him like a book.
“It wasn’t your fault,
there were six of them, and you couldn’t be in two places at once.”
“I know, but I promised to
protect you, and I failed you!” The harshness in his voice stopped Sonja short.
She wanted to hold them
both and comfort them, she loved both of them like her own, she’d practically
had a hand in raising them, and seeing them so confused and hurting from trying
to protect her own daughter was too much.
She was almost reaching
out to Rudi, ready to engulf him in her arms, when she saw the slightest hint
of rejection as he recoiled from her.
Rachel gasped at his
abruptness, but Sonja shook her head. She understood that he wasn’t repulsed by
her gesture, he was just mad at himself; he didn’t think he deserved to be
comforted.
His guilt made her sad, it
was clearly misplaced.
“I didn’t get a chance to thank
you both, for what you did for Cadence,
you were very, very brave, and she’s so lucky to have you for friends,”
she told them as they began walking again, she wished she had more to offer,
but right now her gratitude was all she had.
“She’ll be back, I know
Emme will help us, and then we can get her daddy out. Cade will be so happy!”
Rachel’s beautiful smile, the same one Sonja loved so much because it lit up an
entire room, was clouded by tears now.
“Rachel, when the time
comes, I need you and Cadence and Rudolf to get the hell out of Twinbrook,
promise me you’ll take Cade and run. I don’t care where you go, just get the
hell out of Twinbrook,” Sonja stopped walking suddenly; she clutched at Rachel’s
hands and held on tightly, not willing to let go until she had a
promise from her.
Rachel though shook her
head. “No, I know Cade won’t run. She’ll want to help her father, you need
three witches at the very least, and you and Willow won’t be able to break the
seal.”
“We are not running,” Rudi
piped in. “I don’t know half the things that happened back then, but Cadence
needs her father, it’s all she’s ever wanted and now’s our chance to help her.”
“But the coven and your
pack won’t let you, they’ll disown both of you when they find out,” Sonja tried
to reason with them, she could see the ending, it was messy, and she didn’t
want any of it for them.
“Don’t worry about the
pack, their bite is no worse than their bark where I’m concerned,” Rudi gave
her a reassuring smile, and Sonja’s heart broke anew at how naive he is.
________
It was still dark when
they reached Emme's tree house. For a moment all Sonja could do was stare at
the darkness beyond the windows. Emme was obviously still sleeping and she felt
bad for what she was about to do. A light sleeper herself there was nothing she
hated more than breaking someone else's sleep. But she had no choice; Cadence's
life depended on Emme.
"Is everything
okay?" Rachel’s words pulled Sonja out her indecisiveness; she gave the
younger woman a small smile.
"Yeah, everything is
okay," she lied as she took a step forward. She had a feeling winning Emme
over wasn’t going to be easy.
She rapped lightly on the
door. Her knock went unanswered for a few moments. Rudi sighed impatiently
behind her, and out of the corner of her eye Sonja saw Rachel rub sleep from her
eyes, she was obviously tired, not surprising since she’d hardly slept since
Cadence’s accident.
"What's taking her so
long?" Rudi barked as he sidestepped her, getting ready to slam his fists
on Emme's door.
But Emme beat him to it.
The door swung open, and a soothing light shone from beyond, it cast soft
shadows on Emme's face, subtly adding to her ethereal aura.
It took Sonja a moment or
so to realize the light came from Emme's wings. She'd never seen them before.
They were...magnificent.
"You look like you've
seem a ghost," Emme noted as she beckoned at them to enter the house.
"No, not a ghost,
just your wings," Sonja replied, her eyes still glued to the light on
Emme's back.
"I thought elves
don't have wings!" Rachel sounded as awestruck as Sonja felt.
"There's a lot you
don't know about my race, young witch," Emme replied.
Before either of them
could quiz her further, Emme suddenly transformed into a sprite. She zigzagged
around the room, hovering erratically around Rachel’s head.
The young witch tried to
catch her, and each time she thought she had her safely in her hand Emme would
fly away, leaving behind a trail of pixie dust.
Sonja and Rudi looked on delightedly;
they'd never seen this side to Emme. She was always so broody. It was
heartwarming to see she could be playful too.
"What can I do for
you?" Emme abruptly put an end to her show as she took on her physical
form again. She sounded serious suddenly, all the playfulness was gone.
She was back to being Emme, the dance instructor, Cadence's teacher.
"It's Cadence. She's
in trouble and we need your help-” The whole time Sonja was explaining the
situation with Cadence and Ethan, she watched Emme carefully for any sign, any
hint at all that the elf was leaning on their side. But Emme's face remained
impassive; the look in her eyes gave nothing away.
"Will you help
us?" Sonja asked after a brief period of silence.
"Do you have any idea
what you're asking me to do?" Emme ignored her question and held her gaze.
"I wouldn't ask if I
had any other options," Sonja wrung her hands on her lap.
"You're asking me to
betray your coven, and deceive Ethan! That's suicide!" Emme cried, a small frown played across her forehead.
"It's for Cadence.
Please! I would-" Before Sonja could finish her plea, Rudi cut in.
"How much? How much
will it take for you to duplicate the star?" He demanded as he placed
himself on front of Emme. It was obvious he was losing his patience very fast.
"Don't insult me,
little wolf!" Emme hissed back at Rudi, her cheeks flaming furiously.
"I think we all need
to calm down," Rachel's soft voice pulled them away from their looming
battle.
"I think you need to
leave," Emme suggested in a much softer tone. But her eyes, still glued on
Rudi, were hard like stones.
Sonja's eyes widened,
expressing her sudden bewilderment. She opened her mouth to apologize and beg Emme
to change her mind, but the elf silenced her with her hand and showed them the
door.
"Get out. I will not
be insulted in my own home!"
"He didn't mean it,
Emme!" Rachel offered.
Emme though, wouldn’t have
any of it, "Don't make me throw you out!"
The threat in her voice
was enough to send them all scurrying to the door. They didn't know much about
her magic, but they sure as hell didn't want to be on the receiving end of her
wrath.
Just as they reached the
door, Emme stopped them. "Sonja, you can stay."
Sonja said a small prayer
of thanks then, feeling very grateful that Cadence's teacher had changed her
mind.
Emme turned to Rachel,
“take him home, and calm him down. He can't go into battle in the state he's
in."
Rachel nodded and smiled.
Rudi mumbled something. It sounded like an apology. Emme accepted it with the wave of her hand as
she ushered them away and closed the door behind them.
"Where were we?"
She clasped her hands and regarded Sonja from beneath her long lashes before
she went to the stove to get the kettle going.
"He didn't mean
anything, Emme, he's young and impulsive." From the way the two had parted,
it was obvious Emme wished to forget the incident with Rudi, but Sonja felt she
should apologize and clear the air anyway.
"He has a temper,
like his father, it will get him in trouble someday," Emme noted as she
led Sonja back to the living room, there was a wistful look in her eyes and a
longing in her voice Sonja couldn’t miss.
“I’m not angry with him
for what he said. I just had to get him out of here," Emme carried on.
Sonja wished she'd stop.
She didn't want to know, didn't want to confirm what she and the rest of the
town had suspected.
But Emme wouldn't drop it.
She wouldn't let it go. Maybe she was just lonely or feeling vulnerable, or
maybe she was just tired of carrying the weight of her secret on her own.
Whatever it was, as unclear as it was, she seemed determined to lay it all out
for her.
"Don't do this,"
Sonja begged her. She didn’t come for this. She just wanted the fake Star
and nothing else.
"You shouldn't have
brought him here!" Emme retorted.
"I didn't know!"
Sonja shook her head.
"Spare me the denials
Sonja. The whole town suspected Romulus is Fae's father!"
"Is he?" Sonja
yelled back. The second her words were out she wanted to take them back. It's
one thing to suspect. But knowing is something entirely different. Something she
wasn't ready for.
"Yes!"
With that one word, Sonja
could see Luann's world come crashing down.
Reading the panic in her
eyes Emme quickly put her at ease, "Don't worry, Luann
knows. They both know."
"When? How?
Why?" Suddenly Sonja wanted to know the whole truth.
The kettle hissed on the
stove, stealing Emme's attention.
Sonja watched her get up
from her seat and go about the mundane task of making tea.
"How do you take
it?" Emme looked up from the cups on the table.
"Black, two spoons of
sugar," Sonja ran a tired hand through her hair.
"I have something
better than sugar," Emme sprinkled pixie dust in both cups, her eyes
sparkling mischievously.
"You can do
that?" Sonja was amazed, there was so much she didn't know about Emme and
her powers, so much she wished she could have known about the other woman.
"Don't tell
anyone," Emme warned her playfully as she handed her the cup.
The smell of apples and
cinnamon teased Sonja’s nostrils, seducing her into taking her first sip. The
warm brown liquid tasted divine and she moaned blissfully.
"I told you, it's
better than sugar," Emme gloated.
They eased onto the chairs
around the dining table and drank their teas as they watched the fingers of dawn
paint a pretty picture beyond Emme's window, the stream below sang a soothing
song, and just for a little while Sonja believed in the lie of a new day, that
everything would be okay.
"They fought that
night," Emme promptly shattered her illusion as she picked up the threads
of their conversation.
"What was it
about?" Sonja asked.
"What it was always
about. Rom wanted more, Luann couldn't give him more. You know how volatile they are
together. And you know how ugly their fights get!"
Sonja nodded. She knew
alright. Luann was stubborn through and through. And Romulus was...passionate.
Yes passionate was the only word Sonja
could think of.
"Rom wanted kids, and
your sister didn't want to settle down. She was too caught up in being a
priestess and running the most powerful coven this side of Twinbrook. The fight
ended like it always did, with Rom walking away. I was in the woods picking
flowers when he ran into me. I could see he was distraught and I couldn't leave
him there. Not like that.”
"So you invited him
home," Sonja finished off for her.
"We didn't mean to,
it was wrong. But he was hurting and I just wanted to comfort him." Emme
spoke again after a short pause.
Sonja didn't know what to
say so she said nothing and nodded at Emme to carry on.
"It will sound weird,
I know, but I never thought of Rom in that way, never saw him in that light
before. But that night I fell in love with him."
"And you haven't
stopped loving him," Sonja stated the obvious.
“You must think I’m a fool.”
Emme laughed bitterly before she quickly brushed away her tears with the
back of her hand.
“No,” Sonja shook her
head. “I think it was unfortunate. But you got something good out of it. You
had Fae.”
“Only to lose her!” Emme
sounded so bitter now, and Sonja didn’t know how to comfort her. It’s one thing
to lose a spouse or a lover. But a child…she couldn’t imagine ever losing
Cadence.
“As soon as I realized I
was expecting, I came clean with both Luann and Rom. He wanted to take
responsibility for Fae. But he wouldn’t leave Luann. Not that I expected him
to. He loves her.”
“Why didn’t you say
anything? Why didn’t you tell any of us?” Sonja asked.
“I didn’t want Fae to
know. I didn’t want her to grow up with the stigma of being a love child, a
result of my moment of weakness!” Emme explained.
“Did Rom…when Fae died.
Did you ever talk about it?”
Emme shook her head. “No.
Rom took care of us financially. But he was never a part of Fae’s life. Luann
wouldn’t let him. He felt guilty for betraying her, and I felt just as bad, so
as much as I needed him, I thought not having him around was my penance.”
“But Fae deserved to know
her father,” Sonja was fuming now. She always knew her sister could be impossible. But to go as far as deny a
little girl a chance to know her father was just wrong…But then again, she
couldn’t say she was surprised, Luann had denied Cadence that same chance when
she locked Warrick away.
They slipped into a pained
silence. It seemed Emme had said all she was going to say about her daughter
and Romulus.
Sonja set her mug on the
table and took Emme’s hands to comfort her. For a long time only the elf’s sobs broke the silence.
“I’m so sorry,” Sonja kept
saying over and over, but she knew how trite and meaningless her words were,
nothing would ever take away Emme’s heartbreak. Losing her child was bad enough; she shouldn't have had to grieve alone too.
“No more tears,” Emme broke
their contact. She got up from her seat and held out her hand.
Sonja stared at her
blankly for a moment before she realized what she wanted. Wordlessly she searched
the pockets on her skirt for the satin pouch.
“Thank you,” she mumbled
as she handed the Star to Emme.
“Don’t thank me just yet.
It’s been a while since I’ve had to conjure anything.” The elf told her before
she vanished upstairs, presumably to her spirit room.
Sonja tried to stay put,
but the silence was unbearable. She got up and paced the small living room; she’d
stop occasionally to stare at the trinkets and pictures of Emme and Fae on the
walls and end tables.
She picked up one
of the framed pictures and held it up in the weak light, she could see now why
it was easy for everyone to suspect Romulus was Fae's father; her coloring was
Emme's, but her facial features were all Rom’s.
“Beautiful wasn’t she?”
Emme’s voice from behind her pulled Sonja away from the past.
“She was,” she affirmed
as she gently placed the picture back in its place.
“It’s done,” Emme
announced as she handed her the two Stars, the original was safely in its
pouch.
“It looks so real,” Sonja
marveled at the duplicate Star.
“It is real. The only
thing missing is its magic source. Sadly, that I couldn’t duplicate it, no
matter how much I wanted to,” Emme told her.
“Thank you,” Sonja took
her hands and squeezed them.
“I imagine this is the
last time I see you?” Emme tilted her head to the side and smiled a little.
Sonja nodded and brushed
away her tears, “for a little while at least.”
“Namaste,” Emme bowed her head then, and brought her hands down in
front of her heart.
Sonja emulated the
gesture, and as an afterthought she added, “What does it mean?”
“It has many meanings, but
right now I simply honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light
and of peace”
It was such a powerful
statement and Sonja took a moment to reflect on it. Feeling humbled by Emme’s
grace she bowed her head again and brought her hands in front of her heart. “Namaste.”
________
Credits: Emme's treehouse was built by Karima, I just had the easy task of furnishing it up. Thank you Karima for all your hard work.











































Yeah I'm thinking I like Luann less now. I know it's a minor thing in the big picture of the story but she just doesn't seem to take other people's feeling, loves, whatever into account. :( She's gonna be super uber pissed about Sonja helping to open that door but Luann can't really expect for her to not help knowing her husband and the only man she ever loved is in there.
ReplyDeleteI really want Luann to be in the place where the shoe is on the other foot!
I'm glad Emme helped, one step down, one to go. Now let's just hope Ethan isn't a total slimy bastard and releases Cade.
That's perfectly understandable, so far we haven't seen Luann's good side, and everything she's done up until now has self-serving in some ways with no regard for anyone's feelings.
DeleteShe will be angry with Sonja, but at this point, with Sonja feeling the way she does, it's not likely she'll back down just to make Luann happy.
Now that would be poetic justice right there.
True, about Ethan, but knowing his hatred for Luca and the grudge he holds over his father's death, Cadence has just become very personal and he'll use her whichever way he can to settle his score.
I got lost On this chapter. So Fae is Sonja brother inlaws child, right? Rudi snapped not a good move not when she is going to make the star. I'm glad she duplicated the star for them, I just hope it works And fools Ethan. The ending was sad when they said good bye.
ReplyDeleteGreat chapter :)
Loved the house very beautiful
Aw man, sorry about the confusion this update caused. Yes, Fae was Sonja's brother in-law's daughter.
DeleteTrue, Rudi shouldn't have snapped, especially since they want Emme's help. But in his defense, he's had a gruelling day and he wasn't in the mood to beg and dance around the issue.
Yeah, hopefully Ethan doesn't figure out it's not the real Star.
Godbyes are always sad, I think.
Thanks, I had fun decorating the house.
My tablet actually, not Blogger, destroyed my comment on this one. Yesterday wasn't my day apparently. Today looks better.
ReplyDelete*gapes at shirtless Rudi and drools*
*shakes head fast to clear it*
Hm? Oh, there are words. lol.
It was a little nice to see the softer side of Sonja in this one. Not saying she doesn't have one, it's just she's been under so much pressure lately that she'd acted like she was going to crack from the stress of everything.
*claps hands and giggles* I like Emme's wings. :D
I really like their plan of copying the star, and I hope they can pull it off and fool Ethan. They'll be hell to pay when he finds out - which hopefully won't be until After they use the real one.
Oh, the heartache that Emme has experienced! She's a strong woman to keep going like she is. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.
Mhm, I don't like Luann either. I understand her anger towards Emme for what she and Rom did, but to totally prevent and demand that he not have anything to do with his daughter.. idk. I don't like it even if I understand it. I also understand somewhat Emme's 'penance' feeling of not being with the one she truly loves.
Very true statement -- there shouldn't be a 'good' in 'goodbye'. :/
I know the feeling. I hate when that happens. Ugh, why can't technology work like it should all the time?
DeleteThanks for trying again to leave a comment.
LOL @ the Rudi reaction. I think Karima will be very proud.
True, Sonja's always so serious, more so in the last few updates, I sometimes forget she has a soft side until I got through the chapters and I see glimpses of her again.
Me too. I really wasn't going to use wings, but I just couldn't resist. It's weird cos I don't really like faeries in the game, they annoy me.
Hopefully Ethan's curator is not around when they hand it over, cos you're right, there will be hell to pay if and when he finds they tricked him.
I don't think I'd be able to carry on either, she is a strong, but being immortal I don't think she really has much of a choice, she has to be okay with her circumstances otherwise she'll live a miserable existence for the rest of her life.
Luann is a difficult person to live with, and an even harder character to explain. She's not likeable, her actions can be seen as cruel, but I still don't see her as evil per se. She's different, doesn't think like everyone else, and certainly doesn't play by anyone's rules.
Thanks for reading and commenting.
The main thing despite Rudi getting a little testy is that Emme did recreate the star. Hopefully it fools them. I wonder if Sonja will continue to try and push Cadence away from town too, because I have a feeling that Cadence despite everything that has happened to her is not going to want to leave. Leaving home is hard after all! Also yes you do a really amazing job decorating! I know I've said that a lot of times but only because it is true!
ReplyDeleteLOL @ Rudi getting testy. I like that word 'testy'. I think I'll use it more often now. And you're right he did get that way with Emme and it wasn't warranted really, but in his defence, he had an emotionally draining day. Sonja will try to get Cadence away from Twinbrook, and knowing Cadence I don't see her running though.
DeleteAw thank you Aeon, that's very nice of you to say that.
Thanks for reading and commenting.
Poor Rudi! The guilt is eating away at him! I wish that he could see that he shouldn't blame himself for not being able to save Cade or keep Rachel from being hurt. No one else blames him. He was too outnumbered!
ReplyDeleteI had forgotten how beautiful Emme is. Even more so with her wings! My favorite picture is the one where Rachel is trying to catch her in her Sprite form. I love the expression that you caught on Rachel's face!
For a minute there I didn't think that she was going to help. I hope that the duplicate will be good enough to fool Ethan long enough for them to get Cade back.
So sad for Emme! Sonja's sister seems like a hard hearted woman, but for Rom to still love her and stay with her, she must have a good side too. I wonder how she would feel if it were Rom locked up in that room! I don't know. Maybe she would still try to keep them from being set free.
Another great update!
Daisies,
DeleteIKR. His guilt really is misplaced, and no one blames him. In a way he knows it's not his fault, but a part of him won't let him accept it. He feels responsible for both Rachel's and Cadence's well-being. Hopefully with time, he can learn to forgive himself.
I love that picture too. Karima did an amazing job with her. I love her to bits.
She wasn't overly welcoming I guess, but she does love Cadence like her own and she wouldn't sit by knowing she's in danger. Fingers crossed the duplicate Star works.
Luann is hard-hearted, and you're right, Rom must see something in her to have made him stay with her. On the other hand, both value loyalty above everything else, so it could very well be that they're sticking together out of loyalty than anything else.
Thank you!
And thanks for reading and commenting!
I feel bad for Rudi, it's always hard on the strong men when they can't protect everyone. He's put too much of a burden on himself. I'm glad Rachel understands and doesn't blame him.
ReplyDelete(I admit, I've always been a little sweet on Rudi)
He shouldn't have snapped at Emme, but he wasn't in a great emotional state.
I'm glad Emme helped anyway, for Cade's sake. =D
I just want to hug Rudi, and I totally get what you mean about strong men. Yeah, Rachel knows if he could have, he would have done more to protect her, he just needs to learn to forgive himself now. LOL, I didn't know that, Karima will be pleased to know, Rudi's her creation.
DeleteTrue, he was out of line for snapping at Emme, considering they wanted her help.
Yeah, Cade's finally gonna come home.
Thanks for reading!
~ Wow,you made me blush,more than once!LOL!
ReplyDelete~ Now getting back to the story,I love Emme too she is lovely! You did an amazing job with the pictures too,Love her with wings,Pretty!(now I have to give her a pair in my game!LOL!)Now I want my Treehouse for her decorated by you!LOL! Love it!
~ I just knew Emme would help as she looks on Cade like a daughter!And really would do anything for her!
~ I feel for Rudi,I just want to hug him,he did the best he could to protect everyone,he needs to know that, & to forgive himself as he was outnumbered!
~ Love his Tattoo,good job on that!
~ I think Rachel needed that light hearted playfulness that Emme had with her,it was needed to lighten the mood,then Rudi has to spoil it,though understandable,Emme herself took no offence,it was Rudi's presence that upset her more than anything,as she explained in full to Sonja!
~ Loved it all & can not wait for more! (",)
Another lovely chapter! Emme's house is fabulous and I love her wings. :) I'm glad she decided to help after all. I only hope it works. Sad about her daughter and Rom; Luann sounds very mean now! I look forward to more chapters!!!
ReplyDeleteNo next chapter for me :(. I Re-read? C: I RE-READ C: -RUNS TO LUCA-
ReplyDeleteMoreee v.v Plz?
ReplyDeleteI want to comment longer but after all that I have to run off to the next chapter!!!
ReplyDeleteGood to see that Emme doesn't really hate Sonja. Rudi was a bit impulsive. ;)
ReplyDeleteIt will work out. Emme and her love, her story was nice. Horrible that she lost her daughter.
I know they will think of something. If she has pixie dust, they can surely make the fake Star seem real I hope.
I can't believe they were quietly sipping tea while Cadence is in danger. :) It's funny though.
ReplyDeleteBeautfiul shots, by the way. Very meaningful and natural.