Volume 1.32: A Necessary Sacrifice

Type: Series
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Rating: M
Characters:  Ava, Bjorn, Melissa and Sarah
Word Count: 1240
Glossary: 
Warning: none, I think



I don't know what to do
no guilt is in my heart
I don't know what to do
I'm not the reason
Self Deception-Lacuna Coil
The moment Ava walked in, Samuel knew they were in trouble.

It wasn't the smell of gunpowder clinging to her clothes and hair that gave her away. It was her contented smile.She looked very pleased with herself, happy almost, a far stretch from the gloom and doom mood she was in earlier before she set out to run errands.

"Ava, what did you do?" He asked, dreading her reply, wishing he could undo her actions, whatever they were.

"What you all couldn't do. What should have been done from the start. I took care of Cadence."
Her reply drew shocked gasps from the small group. They could all see it now, the beginning of their end, and they knew Luca and the witches would not take this lying down.

"Good Lord, are you out of your mind? What were you thinking?" Melissa panicked.

"She wasn't thinking, that’s what!" Olivia, her sister, yelled from behind the desk.
Before long they were all caught up in a heated exchange. Melissa and Olivia wanted answers, a justification of some sort from Ava.

She, in turn, stubbornly refused to explain herself, insisting she'd done the right thing by going after Cadence.
Samuel and Bjorn listened to the screaming match for a while, hoping it would boil over and everyone's tempers would simmer down, but when Ava drew out her weapon and threatened the sisters Samuel could no longer sit it out.

"Put the gun away, Ava," he told her calmly, a no nonsense approach wouldn’t work with her, especially when she was waving her gun around, ready to set it off at the slightest hint of provocation.
But Ava wasn't backing down, calm approach or not.

Her determination was one of the things he'd always admired about her, but now as he stood there, helplessly engaged in a standoff with her, he couldn't help but be afraid.

The silence in the room made it hard for Samuel to ignore the hands of time on the clock as the seconds ticked on, making the gulf between them unbearably wider.
"That’s it, I'm not sticking around for this bullshit," Melissa snapped, breaking the angry tension in the room, it was obvious Samuel no longer had control over his wife, and she wouldn’t sit around and wait for Luca and his clan to retaliate. She quickly gathered her backpack while Olivia collected a few supplies.
At the door the sisters hesitated for a brief moment or two, they couldn't leave this way, not on bad terms at least. They tried to get Samuel and Bjorn to come with them. But Samuel wouldn't leave without Ava, and she insisted on taking Luca head on. Running away would mean she'd done something wrong, and she refused to see her attack on Cadence as anything other than a necessary sacrifice for a greater good.
"You are insane!" Melissa shook her head at Ava one last time before she followed her sister out of the den.
As soon as the door banged shut, Ava lowered her weapon and sat down on the worn armchair, but the guarded look didn’t leave her eyes.
“What do we do now?” Bjorn dispelled his question in a hushed sigh.

Samuel shrugged. For the first time in twenty years he didn’t know what to do. And for once he wished for someone else to take the responsibility of being the leader, relieve him of his duties. He was exhausted, he’d really thought when the witches destroyed the Star it would be the end of it, he’d hoped they’d leave this hunting business behind them.
“You should go with Mel and Olivia  I’d feel better knowing you’re looking out for them. We’ll meet up in a couple of days,” Samuel lied. It sounded thin and unconvincing even to his own ears.

Bjorn didn’t want to go. Like Ava he didn’t want to run. But unlike her, he wanted to stay and fix things, clear up the mess she had started, talk to Luca man to man.
After much persuasion and convincing from Samuel, Bjorn agreed to go with the sisters. The plan was to meet up in Sunset Valley in a couple of days. But if Samuel and Ava didn’t show up in the said time, then Bjorn would assume the worst, and return to Twinbrook with reinforcement.

“You’ll check in every hour right?” Bjorn raised a questioning eyebrow at him. Samuel halfheartedly promised he would.
Outside, the two men shook hands briefly.

“You’re making a mistake, staying here,” Bjorn snorted grimly.

“I know, but I can’t leave her. She’s my wife, we are in this together.” Samuel explained. With a final pat on the back, he bid his friend farewell.
Alone with Ava he tried over and over to get her to see that what she had done was wrong and there was no excuse for her actions, no excuse for going after an unarmed innocent girl.
But Ava refused to feel any remorse for her actions.
Eventually, like a can of soda left open for a long time, their argument lost steam. Samuel reached for her and held her.

“I love you both very much,” he whispered through his tears as he placed a loving hand on her tummy.

“We’ll be okay, don’t worry. Luca won’t do anything to me, not when I’m pregnant.”

As soon as the words were out, Samuel saw regret in her eyes, not for what she’d said, but for slipping up and saying too much.

“You used our baby as a security blanket?” He shook his head incredulously.
“It wasn’t like that,” Ava jumped away from him then, putting a little bit of distance between them, she must have seen the murderous look in his eyes.

“What was it like then, Ava? Please explain it to me because where I’m standing it sounds like you went after Cadence thinking Luca won’t hurt you because you’re pregnant,” Samuel frowned darkly.

“I’m just saying Luca is a reasonable man. He won’t hurt me knowing that I’m pregnant. And with time, they will all come to realize that getting rid of Cadence was the right thing to do,” Ava replied.
Samuel didn’t say anything for a long time; he just stood there, staring at her, wondering about this stranger in front him.

On the outside she was still Ava, his wife, but the conniving look in her eyes belonged to someone else, someone he hardly recognized. Someone who didn’t operate within their system. Someone who’d just endangered all their lives with her rash actions and knowingly used their unborn baby to get even with a bunch of Vampires.
“Don’t you see? I did this for us. I did it for our baby. Our child would never be safe if we let Luca and his band of degenerates open that door."

“Safe from what? The witches destroyed the Star. We were there, and we saw it with our own eyes. There is no danger, and if there is, it’s just in your head! ” Samuel roared at her. He’d tried so hard to keep it together, keep his anger in check, but it was fast slipping away and he was so afraid that he if he stuck around he’d do something he’d regret.
He rapidly approached the door, and without turning around he addressed her again.

“For your sake I hope you’re right about Luca. I’d never forgive you if he harmed our baby. Never!”

27 comments:

  1. Ava needs to die the bitch. Her husband is right the star was destroyed so no danger.

    Where was Luca, I wanted to see him. I feel so deprived :(

    Great update :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't entirely agree with you on that, the Star was destroyed but Luca and his clan have another Star and that's what Ava's really worried about. But I get you, she is on her own mission and endangering everyone else in the process.

      Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. Samuel is in the right. What Ava did was wrong, but we all already knew that. But to say that Luca wouldn't harm her because she was pregnant! Has she forgotten he's a vampire after all?

    I can't wait to see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Ava's banking on the fact that she knows Luca very well. But then again it's been twenty years, so he could very well have changed and he's not the man she knew then. Only time will tell I guess how right she is if at all. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  3. Wow...seeing as how she's pregnant and all I'll blame her psychosis on the hormones. She was about to kill every friggin body!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yeah, I guess the hormones can be blamed to some extent for her erratic behavior.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. Wow Ava has really lost it and she can't be so sure about Luca. If he hadn't been so concerned for Cade she may not have made it back he would have been in a murderous rage.

    Samuel is right to hold anything that happens to her or the baby against Ava. She brought that on herself shooting an innocent person. Cade is just as much a pawn in this, none of this was her fault.

    Things are getting tense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true about Luca's mental state. I think the fact that he's had time to cool off a little will factor a lot into how he deals with Ava. But yeah, she shouldn't really be so sure that Luca won't retaliate because she's pregnant.

      I couldn't agree more on Samuel and about Cadence.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. Ava really put all her friends in danger with what she did. I don't blame Melissa and Olivia for taking off, I wouldn't want to deal with the blowback from Ava's screw up.
    And that's a pretty big gamble she took assuming Luca won't hurt her because she's pregnant. She tried to kill Cadence, and thinks she succeeded. And if she's wrong, it's not just her that will pay the price, but her baby and probably Samuel and her friends, too.
    Great chapter, Val!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I don't blame the sisters for getting the hell out of dodge, I suppose I would have done the same thing. You're right it was a huge gamble she took and the sad part is if she knew Cadence was still alive, she wouldn't stop trying, she'd probably do it again if she gets the chance.

      Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  6. Wow! I didn't see that coming, she's a fool if she thinks being pregnant will stop Luca, he'll probably see it as doing the baby a favour, because who would want that psycho bitch as a mother. She should have done her homework before going out all guns blazing. I can't wait to read the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. *giant, giant hugs*

      I was wondering where you were!

      LOL @ Luca doing a baby a favor. I don't think he's that cold-hearted and Ava's banking on the fact that she knows him well. But yeah, I agree, a little homework on her part was in order.

      Thanks for reading, Sue!

      Delete
  7. Ah great :( She has to be expecting. But then... oh darn it anyway... But, no sympathy for the hunters. They are without vision and very closed minded. Ava is awful for doing what she did. I just feel bad for whoever takes revenge because of the guilt that person may feel when he/she finds out she is pregnant. It's just too bad that they cannot see a middle road and they are so blinded. But I liked Samuel's parting words, because he knows it would be Ava's fault.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand your frustration with the hunters and Ava. And you're right knowingly endangering the life of her unborn child does make her an awful person.

      Very true, about the person taking revenge, it won't be an easy thing to do knowing Ava's expecting.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  8. I'm not sure if he would wait or not, but he might kill the baby just to make her feel his pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another possibility, but for Samuel and the baby's sake hopefully it doesn't get to that.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  9. This update almost slipped by me somehow! I am glad that I caught it! Ava proves that some people just shouldn't have guns and she is one of them! She often seems to be pulling that thing out. Ava is the last person they should trust with anything. Her only saving grace is that she is pregnant :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, about some people not owning guns, she's the perfect example, it seems in every update she just has to threaten someone with the thing. I like what you said, about her only saving grace. It could very well be the only thing that saves her.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  10. ~ My,my,she used her condition to stop Luca,from hurting her,she either knows him well, or is counting on the baby to save her skin!
    ~ I wonder if Luca can see past his rage to register that??????
    ~ Loved it! More,when you can! (",)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -Yeah, it was a calculating move on her part.
      -Let's hope he can, otherwise I don't think Cadence can ever forgive him for that, or if he can forgive himself.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  11. Good grief, Ava is a major pain in the butt. She actually used her unborn baby as a means to take out Cadence? Blah...I wonder what Luca will do. I also wonder if Ava's right and he won't attack her because she's pregnant...oh I hope Cadence is okay!!! Looking forward to more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like I haven't spoken to you in forever! *big hugs*

      Cade will be okay. But Ava, not so much. She may be right about Luca not killing her because she's pregnant, but he can certainly find other ways to make her pay.

      Thanks for coming back to this.

      Delete
  12. WOW! I cant believe that Ava is using her pregnancy as a way to get away from 'killing' Cadence. If Cade had really died, I dont think Luca would have stopped at anything, even an unborn child to avenge her death. But seeing as it failed, he might just as you said Val, find other ways to make her pay. A thought just occurred to me that he could kill her husband or the hunters as a way of getting even with her!
    Ava is slowly losing it. She is disobeying her husband and leader and endangering the lives of the other hunters! Now they are all disassembled and torn apart by her rogue actions. She needs a reality check that why they are in a group is to work together, not as a lone ranger operating under their own suspicions and theories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melissa is right. Ava is insane! I can't believe she used her baby as a shield. She didn't care about what happened to anyone else. She shot Cadence for revenge. I feel sorry for Samuel and her baby, but she deserves whatever happens next!

    She's not listening to anyone else anymore. I can just imagine her reaction when she finds out Cadence isn't dead!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Somehow my comment didn't go through. Blogger is acting funny for me today.

    Melissa is right. Ava is insane now. I can't believe that she used her baby that way! She is so focused on revenge that she doesn't care about anyone else now. She doesn't care about the dangerous situation that she has put the others including her husband into.

    I can't blame Samuel for being so furious with her now! She's not listening to him anymore either. That poor baby! His mother doesn't care that she put him in danger. It makes me think that she would do it again if it suits her deranged purpose.

    I wonder how Ava will react when she finds out that Cadence is still alive. I wonder if she will be able to comprehend how badly she has damaged her relationship with her husband and the other hunters.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just catching up, missed a few updates. Ava has lost her freaking mind. If I were Samuel I'd lock Eva up until their baby was due to be delivered, deliver the baby, make sure it was safe and kill Ava myself....No one is safe with her running loose, no one!....edenz~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, it's hard not to see Ava as anything else but insane. To think that she's going to have a baby... Where is her maternal instinct?

    ReplyDelete