Volume 1.29: Before The Dawn

Type: Series
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Rating: M
Characters:  Ava, Cadence, Luca
Word Count: 805
Glossary: 
Warning: coarse language


Somehow I know that we can't wake again from this dream
It's not real, but it's ours
Maybe tonight, we'll fly so far away
We'll be lost before the dawn
Before the Dawn-Evanescence
Cadence laughed, the sound echoed around the almost empty room, bouncing off the walls. She waited for the punch line, waited for Luca to tell her he was joking, or to at least confirm she'd heard him wrong.
But his denials never came; the deadpan look never left his eyes either.

"You're serious?" She shook her head, unable to wrap her head around his announcement.

"Warrick is alive and well. Maybe not so well, but he's hanging in there," Luca replied.
She didn't resist when he pulled her close to him and massaged her temples, slowly driving away the beginnings of a migraine.

"How? I don't understand? It's been twenty one years. He's human; he couldn't have survived for so long? Are you sure he's alive? How do you know this?" Her questions were rapid and unrelenting. Her mind was equally on overdrive, running at a million miles per hour.
"The cellar is equipped with basic amenities, but they aren't adequate for a human. Warrick would have died in a couple of weeks from hunger, so Julian turned him to prolong his life," Luca cleared up some of her confusion as he led her to the bed and sat her down, he could tell she was about to pass out from shock.
"So all this time, all these years he was alive. He was so close, and you never told me? Why? Why didn't you tell me?" Her confusion turned to anger very quickly.

Suddenly he was the enemy, the monster who'd knowingly kept her away from her father; he was just as bad as Sonja and her coven for keeping this major revelation from her.

Luca, having had plenty of years to prepare himself for this talk, remained calm and detached. He refused to be drawn into a screaming match with her, refused to raise his voice at her too even when it seemed like she was doing her damnedest to drive him over the edge with her irrational accusations.
"Come on, Cade, you know me better than that. I'm not the enemy; I'm on your team. Always. Don't ever forget that."   He lifted her chin and caressed her cheek with so much tenderness she almost forgot why she was angry with him.

"Until a few weeks ago we didn't think we could pull this off. I didn't want to raise your hopes only to break your heart.  I was also waiting for Sonja to come clean about Warrick. I didn't want you to hear it from me. It would have seemed like I was playing dirty, trying to paint a bad picture of your coven. But more importantly I wanted you to come to me on your own terms,” he explained.

Cadence couldn't find fault with his reasons, they were valid.  But she didn't agree with some of it.  Between him and Sonja, he'd seemed like the lesser of two evils, and that's what had made up her mind in the end. Not free will.
"I have to go," she abruptly got on her feet and left the room. She half expected him to stop her, and she was oddly relieved when he didn't.
Dusk was her favorite time of day.
She liked those quiet moments when the world seemed to slow down, getting ready to welcome the evening.
The colors, especially the sun setting on the horizon, looked prettier, the sounds were much gentler too.
But today, as she blindly made her way home, the beauty of the approaching night was lost to her. Her mind was spinning, there was so much to process, so much to think about. When she came to Luca's house she didn't expect to leave with so many new revelations.
She was so lost in thought she didn't notice Ava, with a crazy, almost enraged look in her eyes, sneak out of the thicket and follow her.
The sudden movement behind her alerted her she wasn’t alone. She turned around just in time to see the hunter reach behind her and pull out her handgun, the same one enchanted by Luann.
"Ava what are you doing?" She asked shrilly. She wanted to fight and defend herself somehow, but she couldn't move. She was suddenly paralyzed by fear, numbed by everything she'd just learned from Luca.
"You really should have listened and stayed away from the blood sucker," the hunter's face twisted into a sick smile as she raised the gun and aimed it straight at her.
“Put the gun down, Ava,” Cadence begged, all the while mentally willing herself to transform.
For Luca who was just seconds away from Cadence, the sound of a gun going off was deafening.
Disbelief, shock,  rage, played on his face when he finally reached the chaos.
With a loud, enraged howl he fell to the ground and wept for wounded cat before him...


_____


I've put up a poll. If you can just take a moment to cast your vote, I'll be grateful. It's on the top right hand side!


Note: for anyone confused about Cadence transforming: for the purpose of TF witches can take on their spectral form when the need arises. This was shown in Volume 1.9: Marked, where Rachel interacts with Rudi while he's in wolf form.

36 comments:

  1. Luca wept for a cat, nice. I refuse to say sweet :)

    Cadence now knows everything and things will not be good for Sonja now.

    Ava needs to die, how dare she try and shoot Cadence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think sweet would be appropriate considering the circumstances. And Ava didn't try to shoot Cadence, she did shoot her.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Wait, what? I'm kind of confused. Did Cadence turned into a cat after she got shot? o__o Is she some kind of witch/cat demon hybrid?

    /dumb question D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a dumb question at all. But in TF witches can take on their spectral cat forms, (this was shown in earlier chapters) between Rudolf and Rachel. And yes, Cadence took on hers as a way to counteract the danger she was in, but she transformed just as Ava shot her.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
    2. Ooooh, right. That seemed like ages ago xD I have a bad memory and all.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, it was ages ago...five months ago to be exact.

      Delete
  3. ~ Poor Cadence she managed to transform, but too late, she had already been shot,Please tell me she is not dead!P>L>E>A>S>E>!!!!!!!
    ~ Not Happy,I'm very SAD!!!!!!!(",)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karima,

      Yeah, she was a little too late with the transformation. If only she'd cast a protection spell before she left the house.

      -Aw, *hugs*, don't kill me just yet.

      Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  4. WTF!!! THAT IS NOT HOW I EXPECTED THIS CHAPTER TO GO. So she um got mad, is confused, didn't see (or talk to rather) her father and got shot then turned into a cat.

    He said wounded not dead so maybe she'll be ok. Ava has gone off the deep end. Does Luca know it was her? Where did she go so quickly? He needs to kill her and soon. OMG when Sonja finds out. I know she will try to blame Luca for this. I just know her and the rest of her crazy coven are gonna want to blame him.

    I just see the .."if you didn't come back none of this would have happened" talk. UGH!!! I hope I'm wrong. But Cade, that poor girl has suffered and suffered and she is truly the innocent one in all of this.

    Please let her be ok because if she's not there will be hell to pay!

    (But he's still hot even in vampy mode. I know I'm hopeless)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaz,

      I can understand your bewilderment. Learning Warrick is alive was a lot for her to absorb, and she had to think about it. Ava shooting her though can't be that much of a surprise, she has been acting erratically over the past few chapters. And her turning into a cat was a defense mechanism, she took on her spectral form, like Rachel did when she was interacting with Rudi in earlier chapters.

      I love your optimism, for Julian and Warrick's sake, let's hope she is okay. More on Ava in the next update. And yes Luca knows it's her, but his primary concern was Cadence, leaving her wounded and going after Ava would not accomplish much.

      Those are interesting points you raise about Sonja's reaction and that of her coven's.

      I like that about there being hell to pay.

      LMAO, you're hopeless for sure!

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. *gasp* No wonder Luca freaks out. You can't do something like this after you tell me that it'll be a while before you post another update. You know what cliff hangers do to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL< sorry Pixx, it's out of my hands. And I wanna see you have a stroke, show me, show me!

      Delete
  6. Val, are you trying to kill me with suspense!!!!

    She just learned the truth about her father, and now this.

    She has to be okay!

    I don't see Luca letting Ava get away with this. Sonja will also be furious with Ava for hurting her daughter. I think Ava just messed up big time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daisies,

      Me? * smiles innocently at you*

      Talk about bad timing right?

      For Warrick and Julian's sake, let's hope he is.

      I don't see him letting it go either. Agreed on Sonja and her coven. They won't be thrilled with Ava and the hunters for this.

      Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  7. First, I just want to say your landscape photography is breathtaking! Those shots were just beautiful.

    Wow, I definitely wasn't expecting things to go that way, but I guess with the way Ava's been acting, maybe I should have expected it.

    I loved that Luca refused to raise his voice, that he was so tender while explaining things to Cade. I really hope she's okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa,

      *blushes* Thank you. I had a perfect backdrop to work with.

      I can understand your reaction, especially after Cadence has learned the truth, but yeah, Ava has been going off the rails for some time now.

      Luca had plenty of time to prepare for their talk, somehow though I don't think he could have handled it any other way, Cadence is really the one person who brings out his gentle side.

      Thanks so much for your feedback, it's appreciated.

      Delete
  8. Aha, so that's how sweet Luca turned into... whatever-wrath-he'll-release-on-Ava... Now I see!

    Shocker, no kidding! I knew Ava was gonna go berserk and do something stupid. Just didn't put Cade in the mix, although it does make a certain sense. To hurt Luca, there's only one way you look -- Cadence! Both emotionally/romantically and brother-ly wise. If she dies (DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!) - Good Luck Julian!

    The clan is undoubtedly gonna blame Luca for all of this. When they have a meeting about this, I can so see that psycho bitch Ava agreeing and participating as if nothing happened. Can I maul her myself??? Pretty please???

    Don't keep us waiting too long!

    PS: Luca in 'Destroy-everything-Grrrrr' mode is still hot. Nothing scary there at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JM,

      Yes, that's how Luca gets into angry vamp mode.

      Yeah? That's strange, I really thought Ava's actions were so predictable. She has been riding on the crazy train for some time now. You are so right about hurting Luca, Ava knew it would destroy him in every way possible.

      A lot of blame will be passed around for sure. And as much as I'd love to let you maul her, I think Luca would feel cheated if someone took revenge on his behalf.

      I'll try not to.

      LOL, you and Jaz are both just hopeless where Luca's concerned.

      Thanks for your feedback.

      Delete
  9. Oh dear God! I hope she's okay!!! The poor kitty!!! :( Well, poor Cadence that is. But still, ugh! I hope she isn't dead! Luca, get her! I took your poll as well, and I hope Ava gets her just desserts. But more importantly, I hope Cadence will recover. Luca, save her! Hey...he has her blood now too. Maybe she'd even be more willing to help now that she knows her father is with the other vampires. Aahhh! Can't wait to find out more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TW,

      I laughed at "The poor kitty". Thanks for casting your vote. Luca won't let Ava get away with this. And yes, I'm with you on Cadence, she's not good to anyone if she's dead. Thanks for reading. And if you're working on a new story, let me know, I'd love to read it.

      Delete
  10. See, the last chapter I had mentioned Ava and I had a feeling something like this was going to happen. Just look at her, she's crazy and also she seems to be doing her own thing. I bet that shot has made her a lot of enemies, she shot Cade and meant to kill her clearly. Heh great cliffhanger there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aeon,

      I know right! You were spot on about Ava. She is crazy and operating on her own, not good for the hunters since when the shit hits the fan, they'll all take the blame. And yes, her intention was to kill Cadence.

      Thanks so much for reading!

      Delete
  11. Oh my God! Poor Cadence! WTF is WRONG with Ava!!???!?!??! I bet shooting Cade has made her a hell of a lot of enemies. I seriously hope Luca rips her throat out... I also hope Cadence recovers! And I'm with Tender Wolf, maybe she would be more willing to give Luca her blood now that she knows Warrick is alive in the basement of Delacroix Manor? Oh, Val, this is Neo-Cadence by the way. Sorry I haven't commented on anything lately, I've been really busy with work and family and whatnot. Anyway, great chapter, it was very captivating. I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cadence!

      *big hug* It's great hearing from you! I was wondering where you disappeared to.

      Luca will retaliate for sure, but I'm not sure if he'll rip her throat out. I rather like that idea a lot! And yeah, I think Cade would be willing to help Luca's cause now that she knows her daddy is alive.

      And no worries about commenting, I understand. Take care of you and don't be a stranger.

      Delete
  12. Oh what the *beep*. She got shot! Ava must burn!!!
    I wonder if Luca is going to turn her if he can't help her any other way. I also wonder what Sonja will do the moment she hears Warrick still lives.
    I really want to read more! Give us a chapter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dutchy,

      Yeah she got shot. I love the image of Ava burning, but not sure if I'd have the guts to do it though.

      I think Sonja would kill Luca first if he so much as tried to turn Cadence. I also can't wait for Sonja's reaction to the new of Warrick being alive.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  13. I knew it, I knew something really bad was going to happen.
    Ugh, just as she found her father was still alive-ish. She had so much going on and was not prepared for this. And Luca *cry* he must be a wreck.
    ... on the bright side, he has the blood he needs, (I think) and she's easier to carry as a cat.... but honestly, this puts a nasty twist on everything.
    I need to know what happens... soon soon ... Loved it. It just gets better all of the time. And what will her Mom think about Warrick being a vampire? That will set her in a new predicament.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fae,

      Ava has been going off the rails for a while, so your bad feeling about her was right all along.

      She did have a lot to absorb, and Ava caught her by surprise. I think Luca just died watching Cadence get shot. And I just had to laugh at your comment about her being easier to carry. For sure she is.

      I plan to work on the next update this weekend.

      *blushes* TY. I'm so happy you think it keeps getting better. Sonja will def have a lot to work through when she finally learns the truth.

      Thanks so much for reading!

      Delete
  14. So I'm hoping to God that Cade transformed in time so that the shot is not fatal, Im thinking a smaller target is a harder target to hit. Phucking Ava, someone needs to reign that bitch in before she kills everybody../sorry, rant off=b. I knew her sorry ass was up to something no good.(I thought rant was off...)

    I'm really getting quite pissed now, Sonja and her pisshead coven, refusing to even examine other options as to who may have done the dirty deed that started all of this crap. Both of them for lying like dogs to Cade as well, no one was protecting her as I see it..my thoughts were the less they thought she knew the less questions would be asked and the less they would have to feel accountable for. Sonja is the big loser in my mind, if you have a child and love them, even the hard things in life can't be kept secret..her own vanity topped the love she should have had for Cade.

    I honestly can't rany much about the hunters except for the fact that they have blinders on...I will not start on Ava agin, I will not, I will not.../sigh, hate that c$%^.

    Luca will help Cade if she will let him..and maybe Warrick as well. Luca also needs to get off the 'lets all protect Cade', band wagon, he nor anyone else is doing her any favors.

    Sorry this was more a rant than comment, so I'll stop now..still pissed=b...edenz~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edenz,

      I like your thinking about a smaller target. That's what I think too.

      LOL @ your rant about Ava. And I think her sorry ass will be reigned in sooner than she thinks and in ways she hadn't expected.

      I totally understand your anger at Sonja and her coven. They acted rashly and in the process caused a lot of pain to Cadence and Luca's clan. As for Sonja, you're right, lying to Cadence is the worst thing a mother can possibly do to a child.

      And I'm with you on Luca, he does need to straighten things out with Cadence.

      No worries, I understand. And thanks for reading.

      Delete
  15. Ava really took it too far! She's totally lost it! >:(
    Poor Cadence. It does look like she either transformed and got shot or she got shot first, then transformed. I really hope she is okay. She is going through so much!
    I knew that if Warrick was alive, then he would have had to be turned to last so long. I wonder if Sonja knows about that?
    Now I'm sitting on the edge of my seat anticipating what will happen next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luv,

      Yes, she took it too far and she should be prepared for a retaliation.

      She transformed just as the bullet hit her and for everyone's sake I hope she is too, or Ava will have a lot of angry vampires, witches and wolves on her hands.

      No, Sonja doesn't know about that, it will come as a great shock to her when she finally learns the truth.

      Thanks so much for reading and commenting. I'm loving your housewives series BTW.

      Delete
  16. oh no. Please tell me I didn't just read all that to end it here for now? NO!!!!

    I know you're much busier than you used to be, but please don't take too long to update again. Until then I'll just keep chanting, "She won't kill off her main character she won't kill off her main character she won't kill off her main character..."

    Loved it and I had a blast catching up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mypal,

      WHOA! You caught up? Yay, I'm so glad. Thanks for giving TF a chance. I appreciate the time you put into it.

      I shall work on the update this weekend, I promise.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  17. Oh my goodness!! This was such a big chapter for Cade, first finding out that her dad is alive and next being shot by Ava the crazy hunter!

    I am seriously biting my nails Val! I cant even write a decent review as I am rushing off to read the next chapter!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can see why nobody told her her father was alive. First, nobody was sure if he'd ever get out of his prison. Secondly, he's been turned!
    And Ava is definitely crazy, omg!

    ReplyDelete