Volume 1.11: Who's Fooling Who?

Type: Series
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Rating: M
Characters: Cadence, Sonja
Word Count: 1087
Glossary: 
Warning: language

I can’t go on living this way
But I can’t go back the way I came
Chained to this fear that I will never fing
A way to heal my soul
And I will wander ‘til the end of time
Half alive without you…
My Heart Is Broken-Evanescence
Cadence didn’t get a chance to prepare herself and gather her missiles; the war was on as soon as she walked in to the house. Sonja though, having had plenty of time to gather her weapons of words and come up with an attack strategy, was at an advantage.
Her blows fell on Cadence like a ton of bricks, and hard as she tried to dodge them and fight back, she couldn't. Every one of Sonja's accusations was true; she couldn't deny any of it. Yes, she'd cut school and yes she was in Luca's arms, but it wasn't what Sonja thought.
“Really? Not what I think?" Sonja’s shrieks were loud enough to drive the birds in the forest out of their nests and Cadence thought if Luca was around he would have heard the fight all the way inside his house.
"My God, he almost ran you over and there you go running after him like a-" the rest of Sonja’s angry words didn't make it out of her lips.
Cadence threw her hands out and sent bolts of lightning at her; Sonja countered the attack with fire. For a minute or two the room was in utter chaos as fire and lightning collided, the sound of the two energies as they splintered on the pristine floors was deafening. Mother and daughter found themselves blocking their ears as they watched their wrath simmer on the floor and dissipate to oblivion.
"I’m sorry," Sonja backed down first when the storm in the room had died down. She'd forgotten how potent Cadence's ability was, like her and Luann, Cadence could manipulate elements, but her daughter rarely used her powers, preferring to focus all her energy on dancing.

"We kissed. We got caught up in the moment. It doesn't mean anything." Cadence repeated what she'd been saying since she came back from Luca's house.

"It means something if you let him touch you. How many times should I say this, what should I do to make you see Luca doesn't give a rat's ass about you? He's after your blood, and he will do anything he can to get it. You are nothing more than a means to end to him. Besides, even if he'd felt some small semblance of attraction, Renee has his heart, he'll always go back to Renee!"
"Who’s Renee?" Cadence asked in a small voice. She had a sinking feeling deep in her gut and she knew she wouldn’t like the answer.

"He didn't tell you?" Sonja snorted. When Cadence didn't reply she proceeded to fill her in.
"That’s not true," Cadence cried, tears shimmering in her eyes. Luca didn't have a mate, why would he hold her the way he had, kiss her the way he had, if he did?

"I told you he lies like a cheap suit, he'll say anything, do anything, just to get you to give in," Sonja added.

"No, it's not true. I know what I felt when he showed me our memory. He feels something for me," Cadence watched the tears fall from her eyes and stop on the front of her sweater, leaving behind a small damp patch.
Without saying anything else Sonja left the room. When she came back not even five minutes later, she had a scrapbook in her hands. She leafed through the aged pages for a few seconds before she found what she was looking for.

"There," she tapped her index finger on a series of newspaper photographs.

Reluctantly Cadence took the book, it was covered in a fine coating of dust and it left dark smudges on her hands. The smell of aging paper was overpowering she could almost taste it at the back of her throat. It made her think back to her childhood, of the hours she’d spent playing in the attic, surrounded by objects and things from her mother’s past, a past Sonja never talked about. 

Cadence touched the book tentatively, afraid that any sudden movement would rip off the crumbling pages.

Her eyes widened as she stared at the photographs. It was a wedding or something close to a wedding because she wasn't sure if Vampires got married. But the shindig was Luca's and a pretty, dark haired girl Cadence assumed was Renee. She didn't have to assume long because her eyes found the caption in one of the pictures.

"Luca Delacroix and Renee Van de Kemp, forever in love, eternally committed!" The words rolled off her tongue and jumped straight at her heart, piercing it with a tiny million daggers. She closed her eyes, wishing she could unread the words, wishing she could take them back and make them vanish.
She took small shallow breaths as she waited for the tide of heartbreak to pass, but it didn't. Instead it took a huge chunk of her heart and swept it away in the ocean of sadness already threatening to drown her.

She was a fool. She knew he was using her, trying to seduce her to give in, she couldn't say she didn't know. But a part of her had kept hoping that the kisses he stole from her meant something, she kept hoping she wasn't the only one freefalling into the fire. What an idiot, what a world class idiot she was!
"I’m sorry. You were right. I was so wrong. I so wanted him not to be the person you said he was," she told her mom before she ran to her room.

She hurled herself on the bed and cried for a long time, promising herself it would be the first and only time she'd cry for Luca, the first and the last time he'd ever make a fool of her.

Sonja stuck around for a few minutes, listening to Cadence’s heart wrenching sobs. She was sad it had come to this, devastated that she’d been forced to show Cadence the scrapbook to get her point across, and angry that Luca’s advances were hurting Cadence like she knew all along they would.

She wanted to walk into Cadence’s room and take her in her arms and promise her it would all be okay, but Cadence wasn’t five anymore, hot chocolate and marshmallows weren’t going to heal the ache in her heart.

With a heavy sigh Sonja headed for the front door. The coven was meeting with the alliance at the Faelon camp in the woods.

32 comments:

  1. What a horrible thing for a mother to say to a daughter! I am glad that Cadence reacted to it, it was an unjust and ugly statement. Shame on you Sonja. What a mess the scrapbook has created. Poor Cadence.

    This was dripping with tight, angry emotions. Excellent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fae,

    Thanks for bringing that to my attention, it wasn't supposed to be in the final copy and it totally slipped my mind. I've edited it now.

    But true,Sonja was out out of line, and Cadence was right to retaliate. There's more where the scrapbook came from. It will get uglier.


    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know exactly what your ladies are talking about but I can only say, what a intense chapter!
    I could feel her pain and disbelieve. Luca has some explaining to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dutchy,

    LOL, it's something I forgot to remove before I hit "post"

    Yes, Luca does have a lot of explaining to do.

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh...how could Sonja be so heartless? That's her daughter and there could have been a better way to handle that situation. I'm totally floored that she would just be so ruthless when she talked to Cade.

    Sonja isn't any better. She's telling Cade bits and pieces in order to keep her in line and on the side of the witches.

    I do feel bad but there as to be an explanation. I'm hardcore team Luca, so I'm sure he can find someway to make Cade understand the whole truth of the situation, not just the convenient parts Sonja wants to share.

    Poor Cade. She just is being torn in so many directions, and can't make heads or tails of her feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh I forgot to add, it was really bad that she drops that kind of bomb on her fragile daughter then just leaves her.

    Shame on Sonja in this chapter. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jaz,

    True, she could have handled it better, I agree, but she's been asking Cadence for some time now to stay away from Luca and Cade did the exact opposite. She was frustrated and angry and she lost her head. And in the end she did apologize.

    As you might be on to something there, about her telling her bits and pieces to keep her in line.

    For real? Still team Luca? Let's hope he does have a plausible explanation.

    I know, I just want to hug her, everyone's just playing with her feelings.

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jaz,

    She didn't want to leave, but in the next chapter her presence was required at the Faelon camo.

    In the last few paragraphs she hesitated before she left, she was reluctant to leave Cade alone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can kinda understand Sonya. She is desperately trying to protect her daughter and also keep the vampires looked up. When emotions run high, you say things that should be forgiven afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  10. NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dutchy,

    Me too, I can understand her POV, she has asked Cadence to stay away from
    Luca and she did explain what's at stake. She was frustrated and still reeling from seeing Cadence in the arms of the man she's trying to protect her from.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol @ Pixx

    Sorry to break your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoa I didn't see that coming another woman! I'd like to know how Luca is going to get himself out of this one, I hope Cadence tears a strip of him as I would like to see him grovel.Lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. So, heartbreaking! I never would have guessed that Luca had a mate! If he does, there is no denying his attraction to Cadence.

    I feel so sad for her though! I feel sorry for Sonya too. She loves Cadence and hated breaking her heart, but she felt that she had to stop Cadence's growing feelings for Luca!

    So, sad!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwww </3 Damn she is sad now! That makes me wanna cry too aha Poor girly! I wanna hug her and tell her everything is fine! Lol

    Erg I hate this! I wanna say Luca actually likes her and isn't just using her but I don't know!! Lol he could be for all I know!! Aahhh!

    Oh and I think Sonja is kinda a bitch juust saayin! Trying to ruin the poor girls hope! But again with the Idk should could be right thing! Aaaaahhhh! I just wanna know what Luca is really thinking!

    Gah! Great chapter cant wait for the next

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gardenof,

    Yay, I managed to surprise you since the last time we talked I was giving too much away. I'm pleased.

    And yes, Cadence didn't see it coming either. It was a shock for sure, not to mention heartbreaking.

    Lol, for his sake I hope he can explain because it really doesn't look good for him.

    Thanks so much for returning to this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Daisies,

    It is heartbreaking. I don't think many people saw that one coming about his mate, but you're right, if he does, then Renee is in trouble because he does feel something for Cadence.

    I feel exactky like you also where Sonja and Cade are concerned.

    Aw, *hugs* hopefully the next chapter later today is easy to handle.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rose,

    I feel your pain. But we'd just be lying to her if we told her that, she won't be okay, not for a long time, not until Luca comes back and clears it all up for her, if he can!

    There's so many possibilities where Luca's concerned so I can understand your confusion. But Sonja is pretty convinced he's bad news.

    Lol, there's that mouth again! But yeah, this chapter showed her bitchy side too well. You will know in the chapter after today's what he's thinking.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ~ I feel sorry for Sonja,but at the same time I do not like what she is doing to Cadence,she tells her truths, when it suits her,because she still has not told her the whole truth!
    ~ Were Luca on the other hand has told her that when she is ready, he will tell her everything!
    ~ I really do not know about this, if he has a wife,he can not love her much, if he has feelings for Cadence,but then again it could all be a way to manipulate her!
    ~ Love it! More today!YES!(",)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I feel for Cadence but I do think that Luca has feeling for her, regardless of that scrapbook. He have to explain everything to her.

    I think they look good together and this girl just someone who Luca goes to when things fall apart.

    Sonja wants what best for her daughter but is blinded by the fact she wants to keep the vampires locked up

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't really blame Sonja for what she did. I mean to her Luca is extremely harmful to her daughter, to Sonja Luca only wants her daughter for her blood. So she is willing to do this, to Sonja all she is doing is telling the truth and hey sometimes the truth hurts! So far mission accomplished for Sonja and Cadence may not be falling into Luca's arms any time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Shame on you, Sonja! Yelling at poor fragile Cadence and then just walking away! Humph... But, then again, I guess I can see a pretty reason for it too. All she's trying to do is keep Cade out of Luca's arms for her safety. Ugh, poor Cadence is just being torn in a million different directions with a this big huge aresnal of emotions pulling her halfway across the world (Or maybe just the marsh?) and back and she can't seem to make heads or tails of any of them! I can only imagine what the poor thing must be feeling. Luca has some SERIOUS explaining to do.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Karima,

    -I agree, Sonja hasn't been completely honest with Cadence, but at the same time I can understand why she does what she does, she's just trying to protect her from Luca.
    -True, Luca has been nothing but honest with her since they met, and it's up to Cadence to act on his offer. If she does though, it may just be the end of the witches.
    -Luca's feelings for Cade are a mystery, it could be a ploy to get her to give in or he could genuinely feel something for her. If he does, then he wouldn't care much about Renee.
    -Yes, definitely today.

    Thanks for reaading!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lckygrl,

    You too? Still Team Luca? LOL. I hear you. And you might be right about his feelings for her.
    He has a lot of explaining to do, hopefully Cadence gives him a chance to.

    As for his mate, it would be sad for her, if Luca has feelings for Cadence.

    Exactly. Sonja has Cadence's best interest at heart, but being so closely involved with the situation, she's not entirely objective.

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aeon,

    I agree with you completely, Sonja may lack objectivity where Luca's concerned, but she genuinely sees him as a threat to her child and her coven, and she's only trying to protect her daughter. Her tactics were harsh and extreme, but she felt she was all out of options since talking to Cadence didn't seem to help. That's so true, this is a small victory for the witches, Cadence will def not be running to Luca for a long time to come.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Tre'

    Thanks for taking an interest in TF and for leaving feedback, I'm always happy to hear from new readers.

    Oh man, Sonja sure made a lot of people angry in this chapter. She didn't want to leave Cadence, if she could have she would have stayed, the next chapter explains why she rushed off like that, leaving Cadence heartbroken. You're right, Sonja was trying to protect her Cadence, she thinks Luca would have hurt her in the long run and not mention destroy the coven's dynamics.

    Cade is torn, devastated, confused, but she's a strong girl. It will take her some time to get over her heartbreak, but she'll be okay.

    Hopefully Cadence gives Luca a chance to explain.

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh dear,
    They attacked each other! I was expecting something, but wow!

    Sonja is WAY out of line with this one! A mother protects her baby, but come on! There's a way to go about things... Bad Sonja! Now go sit in a corner!

    Pfff, I have a strong feeling that the scrapbook page is a fake! The picture might have been real, but not the headline. Sonja looks creative enough to tweak it a bit. Plus she's a very very very VERY old witch, it's not hard to create some dust to make something look old! Magic is a powerful and manipulating thing!

    Great update!

    ReplyDelete
  28. JM,

    Things got out of hand very quickly between the two.

    LOL. I love the time out for Sonja. Somehow I think she'd put a curse on you. On a serious note though, I agree, she could have handled it better, but she was feeling frustrated, shocked and angry that despite all her warnings Cadence's still getting very friendly with Luca.

    WHOA. That thought had never crossed my mind, but it's brilliant. Sadly for Cade the scrapbook is real. Not a fake.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Im really torn on choosing sides!

    On one hand Sonja has every right to despise Luca and try to open her daughters eyes to seeing the way she sees him. As well as try to warn her about him. After all she has known him longer than Cade has. I think however the way she went about it was a little wrong. She should never have gotten so angry. I think talking to Cade in a calm manner would have been more effective. But I understand her sudden outburst to see her daughter locking lips with the enemy. So I do understand Sonja's point.

    But then there is poor confused Cade. Who has never had her heart broken or fallen so fast in love with a guy. And here she is learning two different sides to him. I feel horrible for her to learn that Luca is linked with someone else. That little bit of hope that she was holding on to was doused with cold water.

    I cant say I hate Sonja or choose Cade's side over Sonja because I do understand each side. They all have their points and the right to feel how they are feeling.

    Another great Chapter Val! Such heated emotions!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dusty,

    It's good to hear from you. And I was so excited to see an update from you.

    I understand how you feel cos I feel the same way too, I don't want to choose sides because I can see both their views and one isn't right over the other's. But at the same time, I like what you said about Sonja, she could have handled it differently.

    It is sad for Cade to find out about Luca's mate, but Sonja felt she was left with no other choice, she'd tried talking to her and that didn't seem to have helped. The scrapbook was the only way to convince Luca is bad.

    Thanks so much for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Awww, poor Cadence! It's too bad about Luca, though I wonder what happened to Renee. Is she trapped with his brother maybe? I wonder...so sorry I fell behind, I plan to catch up now! Off to the next chapter! I hope Cadence will be okay!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm fully with Sonja on this one. Sometimes you have to hurt your loved ones in order to protect them. It's her role as a mother. Poor Cade though. :(

    ReplyDelete