Type: Series
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Rating: M
Characters: Cadence, Luca, April, Andrew
Word Count: 2148
Word Count: 2148
Glossary:
Warning: nudity
There’s so much I want to say
But I’m so scared to give away
Every little secret that I hide behind
Would you see me differently
And would that be such a bad thing…
What If I Told You-Jason Walker
Luca closed the front door behind him and let his body drop wearily to the floor. He hovered there for some time, listening to Cadence’s footsteps fade away as she rapidly made her way back to her house.
He’d played out their conversation a thousand times in his mind, and each time it had always ended differently. Not the way it had now.
He laughed bitterly, thinking about their chat. He knew he’d sounded convincing when he told her he’d have her blood. But, he was entirely at her mercy. He needed her more than she’d ever need him, and being used to getting his way, it wasn’t a comfortable place to be in.
He never planned on using her, never even thought of messing with her head; he’d lied to Sonja just to taunt her. He shouldn’t have. He should have just laid all his cards on the table and maybe they would have found an amicable solution.
He’d hoped striking up a reasonable relationship with Cadence would be enough and with time (not that he had plenty of) she’d allow him the opportunity to explain where he was coming from.
Maybe he was wrong. Maybe he should just take what he needs and put his conscience aside.
Before the wave of irrationality could wash over him completely, April waltzed in to find him; she had heard the front door close and it had alerted her of his return.
Andrew wasn’t too far behind her.
“Way to go, Luca!” April clapped her hands sardonically, her sharp green eyes said a lot without her saying much at all; she thought he was a fool for letting Cadence go like that.
“We’ll never get such an opportunity again,” Andrew added behind her.
With their bony frames, fiery hair and pale complexion at first glance they could have easily passed for siblings, but there was no relation between them, blood or otherwise, except for their lifelong friendship.
Luca frowned at both of them, smelling an ambush. He could tell they were getting restless, and they wanted action, they didn’t understand his whole approach with Cadence and why they had to tread carefully. It wasn’t just about him letting Julian out, if and when her father was freed, Luca knew it would cause a hell of an upheaval in her young life; it would crack her whole world wide open and shake the basis of her entire existence. And he couldn’t do that to her. He couldn’t break Julian out without Cadence being on board.
“We’ve been through this before!” Luca told them firmly.
“But she was right here! She was out cold, why the hell couldn’t we just take her blood? It’s all we really need now!” April shrieked unreasonably.
Luca was still standing by the door, but where moments before his demeanor had hinted at exhaustion, his rigid posture was now screaming with indignation and fury. He wasn’t in the mood for arguments and to be second guessed. His near accident with Cadence and their talk had drained him.
“What did you want me to do? Cut her wide open while she slept and drain her blood?” He blew out an angry breath, all the while scowling at April.
“That could have worked,” Andrew added quietly. He too had a lot to gain when the seal was broken; Melanie, his sister, was locked in with Julian and the others.
“I told you, that’s not how I do things. We agreed to my way!” Luca mumbled.
“Your way doesn’t seem to work, Luca. She already knows what we are. Her mother has most likely filled her head with all sorts of craziness. Did you see the way she looked at us? She was petrified of us. What makes you think she’ll allow you get close to her?” April asked. She made valid points and Luca couldn’t argue with her.
“I’ll deal with Cadence!” And that was the end of their argument for now.
He brushed past the two and quickly made his way to the crypt. He had a lot to think about.
As Cadence slowly trudged home, she couldn't stop thinking about Luca's parting words.
What the hell did he mean when he said he 'knew things'?
Were these things about her? Her mom? Her coven? Did it have anything to do with the night his brother was banished? Did Luca hold any of it against her because it was her blood that sealed the door, forever subjecting Julian to eternal damnation?
These were just some of the questions swimming in her head and as much as she didn't want to admit it, Luca had gotten to her with his cryptic words.
“Stop it!” Cadence told herself firmly. She was driving herself crazy with her questions, and she knew Luca was the only one who could give her answers. But a part of her couldn't help thinking it was all part of his plan too, to mess with her head and make her feel uncertain about everything around her. In fact the more distance she put between them, the more convinced she was that he was playing games with her, his wicked attempts at manipulating her to give him her blood. Maybe her mother was right after all.
She was disappointed to find the house empty when she got home. At some point during her five minute walk across the marsh, she’d resolved to make things right with her mom. It looked like she’d have to wait.
As she rushed to her room, Cadence realized that the past didn't matter, only the present, and Luca, with his sinister motives and his devastatingly charming good looks had to be stopped. Her mom and the coven had obviously done what they thought was right at that time, and who was she to question their decision? In fact she thought if she was faced with the same choices as her coven back then, she’d probably do the same thing.
In her room she stripped off her clothes and sat down at her vanity station. She stared at her reflection, wondering how she could feel so hollow inside.
A big chunk of her brain knew nothing had changed on the inside, she was still the same Cadence who loved to dance more than anything in the world, the same girl who'd choose to stay home with her mom and watch reruns of the Young and the Restless over going out with friends and causing mayhem, the same girl who’d die for strawberry sundaes and marshmallows, the same person who wore mismatched socks because Sonja had taught her it was okay to be different and unconventional, that being normal was overrated and uncool.
But the numbed part of her also knew she was so much more. She had banished several powerful Vampires for eternity, and Luca was literally out for her blood, determined to undo (depending on one’s view on the events) the damage or good her coven had done.
She went to the bathroom and opened the taps wide. She waited for the water to get unbearably hot before she stepped inside the shower.
The jet sprays stung her skin painfully, and within moments her whole body was covered in red blotches. It was too hot, the steam inside the cubicle was making her head spin, but for the life of her she couldn't turn off the taps, she didn't even want to step out into the coolness.
In here she felt alive, the ice in her mind, and the numbness in her heart didn't stand a chance, and they swirled down the drain along with the dirt and grime she’d collected that day. Soon though the heat became unbearable and she couldn't breathe, she gagged and sobbed, fighting for air.
Her hands managed to find the faucet handle and she turned off the water. Her legs crumbled under her weight and she sat down on the slippery tiles. She could feel puddles form under her bum, and a few drops from the shower head fell hard on her head; she wiped away her tears and the water dripping from her hair.
As hard as she tried to stop crying, she couldn’t; there was so much that was wrong with her once perfectly okay life and she knew Luca was the cause. Whether he’d meant to or not, she’d never know, but his return to Twinbrook had definitely thrown her world off balance.
"Its okay, you’ll never give in to him," she kept telling herself over and over as she rocked herself back and forth on the tiles…
It was dark when she opened her eyes, and the small drops of water were still falling from the shower head.
From the weak light sneaking through the window Cadence guessed it was early evening, she'd slept on the tiles for a large part of the afternoon. Evidently Sonja wasn't back yet, if she was she would have came to find her.
Cadence dragged herself up from the cold floor and made her way out of the shower. She turned on the light, wrapped a towel around herself and quickly ran a brush through her damp hair.
She was about to leave the bathroom when something on the shower’s glass wall caught her eye. It was her handwriting. It looked faded now but she could clearly make out the name LUCA. She didn't remember writing it, but she obviously had at some point before she passed out.
She furiously wiped away the name with the hem of her towel, determined to erase every trace of him. She wished removing him from her life could be that easy too.
She was stunned to find the door leading to the porch open. The curtains were blowing gently in the light evening wind.
A tinge of fear gripped her heart as she looked around her bedroom, she didn't remember leaving the door open before she went to take a shower, but the emotional mess that she was when she got home, anything was possible.
Upon a quick inspection Cadence sighed shakily when she noticed everything was still in place except for the small ball of paper on her desk. She hadn't left it there, that much she was sure of. Being a dance student she hardly needed to write anything, and if she did it was normally on her own pink stationery.
Cadence reluctantly approached her desk, but she let out a delighted sound when she saw it wasn't a crumpled up ball of paper.
It was an origami swan.
For a long time she stared it, fascinated by how delicate it looked and the amount of care whoever had left it for her had put into making it.
It was beautiful, it made her sad and happy all at once, and it brought tears to her eyes.
As if some force outside her was controlling her, she unfurled the swan and read its message: I'm not the enemy.
His penmanship was neat and pristine, but very much masculine and bold, like everything else about him.
In just four words Luca had made himself loud and clear.
She knew the note was from him, and she was fascinated with his gesture and its meaning, but she found the idea of him being in her room, looking through her things and leaving her cryptic messages, unsettling.
A spurt of anger surged through her heart. She wanted to go across the marsh and give him a piece of her mind. But then she thought against the temptation; her head reasoned it was exactly what he'd expect.
It made her sad to let go of the swan, it looked so pretty and fragile, but she couldn't hold on to it. She threw it in the bin under her desk and made her way to the porch.
She wanted some air, to cool off a little before turning in for the night.
When she saw Luca on his front steps looking up at her, she froze.
For a while she stood there, watching him back, and they stayed like that for some time till the guy Luca had introduced as Andrew came out to find him.
Cadence saw Luca resist a little before he followed his friend up the steps, but just as they were about to slip through the front door, he turned back, his eyes searching for her.
When they found and held hers, Cadence could swear she saw him smile, and his fangs glistened in the moonlight. But she knew it was insane. He was too far away, heck she couldn't even be sure he was looking at her.
She hurried back inside when she heard Sonja’s footsteps as she slipped through the front door.
______
Luna and Nova I can never thank you enough, I am humbled by your kindness
And in the spirit of Christmas I'd like to wish all The Forsaken readers...








































And seeing as how I found out I passed my law class today, this chapter will be embedded in my soul because I was reading it when I checked IQ Web and saw my grade, then I freaked the hell out and got all snotty with joy, and then I went back to reading this chapter.
ReplyDeleteSo Yay! Val I'll be 50 sitting on my porch with my black lab thinking 'I wonder if Val remembers The Forsaken'
When are they getting together?? Don't make us wait :)
ReplyDeleteLove the pic saying Happy Hols very sexy lol
Oh wow Val!! What a great chapter. The way you showed us luca's insecurity was beautifully done. There is such a decent person in him. He is really a man with many contradictions.
ReplyDeleteCadence is so taken with him even if she denies it. I can't blame her! He is fascinating ;)
Loved this new chapter. It took us a bit deeper into the many arguing torments going on within Luca. He is not sure why he is confused about Cad, and why his conscience should mean so much more than doing what is first and foremost the thing he came to do.
ReplyDeleteI feel awfully sorry for Cadence, she is in such a delicate spot. She just is beginning to realize the gravity of the situation...just beginning to realize just how upside down her world had been turned. She can resist all she likes, but I see her turning to Luca for some answers. She might not like it, but every story has two sides, and she has to be sure which side she should be on for the right reasons.
Happy Holidays to you too! My oh my, wish I had all those hunks standing by my Christmas tree. ;}
Pixx, I'm so sxcited for you! *happy happy happy dance* of course I'll still remember TF and you 50 years from now!
ReplyDeleteLckygrl,
ReplyDeleteLol, I love your directness. But Cadence has a boyfriend and Luca's own relationship status is complicated.
I'm happy you like the greeting card.
Dutchy,
ReplyDeleteThank you! Yeah, this volume was really about Luca's insecuritues and Cadence's confusion since learning the truth. I always have a hard rime writing male characters so hearing that you find Luca intriguing means a lot. He is a decent person and I mentioned in his bio that it's honorable nature that's bound to set him back. Cadence feels a lot of things right now from attraction to fear and confusion. She can't deny that she's attracted ti him, but she will try and fight it.
Thanks for reading.
Val, I loved this update. I feel so bad for Cadence right now. She's so torn and confused. She wants to believe her mom, but then she is drawn to Luca (who wouldn't be) as well. I'm she is at least thinking he might have some things to share with her, and there might be more than one side of the story.
ReplyDeleteI still think Sonja is holding something back from Cadence and that fact could be what pushes her to hopefully willingly help Luca free his brother.
Poor Luca is being thrown off by her as well. He has this tenderness towards her that might compromise what he's trying to do. I know he's determined to get his brother free, but it seems like he is having some guilt by having to use Cadence (more than the witches did) which could spell trouble if April and Andrew grow tired of his baby steps approach.
As always your pictures were amazing and I love the swan!
I feel so sorry for Luca and for Cadence! Luca has to fight against his conscience in order to help his brother. He doesn't want to be Cadence's enemy as she is being led to believe.
ReplyDeletePoor Cadence! Luca is probably the first guy she has felt so attracted to, and now she thinks that he is her enemy.
This was so touching, Val! I will really remember this chapter!
Read it, loved it!
ReplyDeleteBe back on Monday to give you a deserving comment!
I love the mind games, the note and origami part was skillfully done! It feels like Cadence wants to hear Luca's side of the story or is very interesting in doing so but it seems she still kinda sees him as the enemy.
ReplyDeleteLuca should be careful though. I'm sure he'll protect Cadence but the other vampires? They seem eager to get the blood any way they can get it, he better watch her back!
Oh very interesting! I loved it! I love this little chase they are doing--I kinda just want the two of them to get together already!
ReplyDeleteDude, dude- I saw that pic with the white horse in the background and the first thing I thought was 'Is that a unicorn?!' Lololol
That whole shower scene was cool, and her finding the note and stuff <3
Is it like totally bad that I saw the 'warning nudity' thing at the top of the post and I was like 'Omg really!?'...? LOL Too bad it didn't really go as I thought, still awesome scene though
Amazing chapter! <3
I love reading and I've been a Sims fan for some years, but I've never read anything that was written using the Sims, until I stumbled over your blog a week or so ago. I started reading The Forsaken and I'm hooked I can't wait to see what happens between Luca and Cadence. But I can't help feeling that you'll put a spanner in the works making it even harder or in possible for them to get together.
ReplyDeleteOkay, let me see...
ReplyDeleteLuca is in a serious dilemma. He cares for the girl, he loves his brother. He doesn't want to see her get hurt, but they need her blood to save his brother.
The way he sat there at the door... whoo, heavy!
Rely on the "wannabe-twins" to ruin a mood! (To anyone NOT Val, no, they're not related!) They put real facts on the table, but come on, give the guy a break. April, should really back off or I'll whisper in Julian's ear what she did. (I'm psychic, so I know too! LOL)
As bothered as Luca is... So be it with Cade! These two are so similar, they don't even know it. I could say a perfect match, but then again being so in sync... might not always work in their favor!
From this day forward, as you have done with Calum, I claim Luca as my Mate!! Him sitting on the stairs, just watching her. The note... He's exactly the way I imagined him to be. I'm in love with my new Mate!
Great one Val!
Valpre:D, eres un gran artista!!<33333 que fotos más bonitas!!, la historia se vé fascinante:D
ReplyDeleteme encanta!!!!:D
kisses!!!<333333333333333
Mica, that means a lot to me to know you loved the update. You are right abt Cadence, she'd really like to believe Luca is not the person Sonja told her he is, but on the other hand, her loyalty to the coven means she has to trust what her mother told her.
ReplyDeleteLuca too feels like he's caught between a rock and a hard place and sadly for them, it's going to get rough before it gets better.
Sonja hasn't told Cadence fhe most important thing, and if she finds out elsewhere about Warrick, it may be prove to be something the witches will live to regret.
Andrew and April have every reason to be concerned, they can see Luca is startinf to feel more than he wants for Cadence, and his emotions are what will hinder their progress in freeing the others. Right now they will allow him the space he needs to prove to them he can deliver, but they won't stand for his indecisiveness for much longer.
Thank you and thanks for reading.
Nedra, that's true about Luca's state of mind, he really wishes they could be on the same side, but Sonja has already filled Cadence with all sorts of half truths, which make Luca and his clan look very bad.
ReplyDeleteYes, Luca is the only guy who's ever had her in knots like this, all this confusion, mixed emotions, uncertainty, is all newto her and she doesn't know how to deal with it all.
Thank you, and thanks so much for all your support, it's much appreciated.
Aeon,
ReplyDeleteLol, and I love that you love the mind games. Yeah, it was pretty artful of Luca to keave her the origami and note. The symbolism behind the origami will be explained in a later chapter.
Cadence does want to hear Luca's side, but Sonja seemed pretty adamant she should stay away from him. Unless something changes, Cadence's loyalties will remain with her coven.
For now April and Andrew won't try anything, but Luca does need keep an eye on her, there are a lot of people who can harm Cadence just so he doesn't free his brother.
Thanks for reading.
Rose,
ReplyDeleteYour comment made me laugh so hard. So you were expecting something naughty, eh? LMAO! It's still too early for that, sorry. But I promise to write at least one hot chapter.
You might have to wait a while for that, for them to get together, a lot of people will not approve of the relationship.
Thanks for reading.
Gardenof,
ReplyDeleteFirst, I just want to thank you for taking an interest in TF, it. means a lot to me. And I'm honored that mine is the first sims story you've read.
Lol, honest to God, it's not my intention to keep them apart, but a lot of things still have to happen before they can get their relationship to the normal range
Again, thank you for giving TF a chance and for leaving me feedback.
Jean-Marie,
ReplyDeleteYou've summed up Luca's emotional state so perfectly, he really wants to do what's best for everyone, especially Cadence, but his brother and the others are running out of time.
Lol @ your comment about the twins. But seriously, they are not related and there is no illicit affair going on. Oh no, whatever you whisper to Julian better not throw him into a depression or your newy claimed mate will have your head for supper, he needs Julian to keep believing.
I couldn't agree more about the similarities between the two.
Lol, I hear you about your mate, but you may have to wrestle Jazen to get him, she's also heed over feet for him.
Thank you for your continued support, it means a lot to me.
Luna,
ReplyDelete*hugs*
wow, that's a huge compliment coming from you, you are one the most talented cc creators in the community and I adore your work so much.
Thank you for everything, for reading this, and leaving feedback, and most importantly for filfilling my request. I can never thank you enough.
{honest to God, it's not my intention to keep them apart, but a lot of things still have to happen before they can get their relationship to the normal range}
ReplyDeleteTut-tut You shouldn't be telling us that, your suppose to keep us in suspense, so that we are salivating for more, which we are doing anyway Lol. I hope you have a Wonderful Christmas & New Year and I'll be here after the holiday season waiting patiently for the new installments ;)
Lol @ Gardenof
ReplyDeleteMy bad! See, I'm horrible at suspense.
Thank you, I hope you have a wonderful festive season too. I think there'll be an update later tonight, my time.
Wow so many people trapped and bound to the basement. I'm wondering if the witches were really right or wrong about their actions... Couldn't they have solved it any other way? Poor Cadence, tied up in all this mess created 20 years ago. The shower scene really captivated her emotions beautifully, Valpre. You did an amazing job writing the whole thing. ;) More cryptic messages and supposed brainwashing doesn't look good for Cadence's fragile state. I love how they stared at each other... i'm left wondering if she'll ever ask him....
ReplyDeleteMango,
ReplyDeleteYeah, it was quite a few people, bur now it's only five, including Luca's brother, Drew's sister and Cadence's father. I think at that time the witches felt they had no other alternatives, but looking back now, with twenty years behind them they might feel differently, their outlook could have changed. Thank you, I'm glad her conflicting emotions shone through in that scene. You're right about the brainwashing, it wouldn't be good for Cadence, luckily for her, Luca would never go that route.
Lol, glad you loved their staring contest. Now that is the question, does she have the guts to know the truth?
Thanks for reading!
Gah, got a little behind. Great chapter Val! I love the origami swan, it's so cute! Maybe Luca isn't the enemy. He might have a change of heart...hmmm...this is so interesting! Off to read the next chapter!
ReplyDeleteIt’s a bit too late for Luca to consider that he could’ve found an amicable solution… he didn’t have to go straight for confrontation.
ReplyDelete(what was that horse doing in the middle of the marshes?! Ah, the Sims! XD)