Volume 1.5: Desperation

Type: Series
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Rating: M
Characters: Sonja, Cadence, Samuel, Ava, Bjorn, Melissa and Olivia
Word Count: 2145
Glossary: 
Warning: nudity, adult situationscoarse language


Somebody help me through this nightmare
I can’t control myself
Somebody wake me from this nightmare
I can’t escape this hell
Animal I have become-Three Days Grace
The drive back home was unusually long; Sonja had to drive slowly since the roads were slippery from the light rain earlier in the evening. Also, she didn't realize just how low she was on petrol until she had passed the only filling station in town.
Her car stalled a few times as she drove up the long windy road. She panicked when it came to a complete stop at the top of the hill. She cried and slammed her fists on the steering wheel, cussing wildly. For a Witch, she had an extensive library of swear words, as extensive as her spells.
She saw a flash of movement in her side mirror. Her instincts told her to lock the doors, but her reflexes weren't quick enough.
Before she could even blink, they were already out of the shadows, surrounding her car. There were five of them, one on each side, two at the back and one in front.
"Hand over the Star, Sonja!" The five hunters yanked at the doors, they tried to pry them open and reach for her, but they couldn't get to her, the protective shield around her was impenetrable. If it wasn't for the protection spell she had cast with Cadence before she left for the gathering Sonja knew it would have been the end of her.
She was in a jam, there was no way she could outrun them, and no way they’d leave her alone. She reached for the bag with the Star piece under her seat and clutched it tightly to herself.

She closed her eyes, and slowly counted to ten, she wouldn't be able to orb if she was an emotional wreck; she had to calm down if she wanted to make it out of there alive.
“Pass me through another dimension that connects this place without convention. Take me to a point I’ve selected. Let only the air be affected.”
Sonja forced herself to chant the words to the Magivestium spell, all the while imagining herself in her living room, safe and sound.
Cadence was just nodding off to sleep in her room when she felt the slight tremor followed by the loud commotion in the living room.
She jumped out of bed and reluctantly made her way to the source of the noise; on her way out she grabbed her witch's broom just inside the door in case trouble was waiting for her on the other side.
It was dark, and she could barely see a thing. She fumbled with the light switch on the wall. She cussed when she tripped and almost fell onto something soft and fragile.
Eventually she found the switch and the lights came on. She burst into tears when she saw her mom sprawled on the floor.
“Mom, what happened?" she asked as she picked Sonja up from the floor and helped her to the sofa. 

"I had to orb from the hill, they were after me Cade. They wanted my piece of the Star!" Sonja cried incoherently.

"You're not making any sense. Who's after you? What's a Star piece?"
Before she could reply, Sonja slipped into a trance, her eyes rolled back in her head, her body convulsed and she began chanting, switching between a variety of languages.
Through all her babble, Cadence managed to pick up some lines in English, but none of it made any sense.
Cadence hated leaving her alone in this state, but she had to. She dashed to the altar room and quickly collected the reagents she’d need for the spell to break Sonja’s trance.
She was shocked to find her sleeping soundly on the couch when she came back with the jars of reagents.
She placed them on the floor and knelt in front of  Sonja. She wondered if she should take her to a hospital or call a doctor. But what would she say, where would she start about orbing and the rest of the weird things in her life?
She sighed as she draped a throw over blanket over her mom’s sleeping form. For a long time she watched her sleep, silently praying she hadn't suffered some head trauma when she landed.
In her room, Cadence took out her journal and wrote some of the things her mom had said in her trance. She couldn’t remember everything, and most of it had been in a foreign language, but she’d caught a few lines in English.
“They live amongst us
Walk in our dreams, 
And see right through 
Our deepest desires.
They hear our thoughts 
And prey on our fears.
Their soft voices
Echo in our minds
with promises of forever.

Darkness falls, 
They heed the call of thirst.
The night belongs to them
Eyes burn red with hunger
It’s our blood they crave
and it’s our bloodline 
They wish to enslave.

When the birth of a new day
Peaks over the horizon
and our shadows rise up to meet them
They retreat to their sanctums 
And seek solace in dark spaces.

In the sun we find comfort.
In the light they disappear.

They are The Forsaken...” 

She said the words out loud over and over, trying to make sense of them. After a while she stopped trying.
She rushed to the altar room and leafed through her grimoire, looking for any creature or being called The Forsaken. She wasn’t surprised when she found none. She’d gone through her grimoire back to back a million times in the past, she would have known if there was such a creature.

It was 3:00 am, the Witching hour, when she finally put her grimoire down. She was tired; her eyes were red and heavy from sleep and she really wanted to hit the covers, but she went to the living room to check on her mom again.
Sonja was still sleeping peacefully on the couch with her arms folded on her chest in a prayer-like pose. Cadence kissed her cheek gently before returning to her room.
As tired as she was though, she couldn’t sleep. Her mom’s words kept her awake...
In their cabin in a secluded part of the woods, Samuel and his small band of vampire hunters were still reeling over their failure. They all scurried to their corners and busied themselves with cleaning their weapons, getting them ready for the approaching war with anyone who dared to stand in their way. 

“We’ll get it next time,” he kept telling the other four. He was referring to the piece of the Chaos Star they’d tried to get from Sonja. But even as he said the words, he knew he didn’t sound convincing. The Youngbloods’ magic was proving to be more powerful than either of them remembered.

They’d heard rumors floating around town about Luca’s return and his plans to free his brother and they knew the vampire would need the Chaos Star to break the seal. Rather than tempt fate and leave the Star in the hands of the Witches they were taking matters into their own hands. They already had Carmella Long’s piece, they just needed the rest and the idea was to destroy it before Luca got his hands on it.
“We have to get it soon. Word is Luca plans to be out of Twinbrook ASAP. We don’t have much time,” Bjorn frowned as he gently kneaded his nape with a tired hand.
“I still don’t see why we can’t just storm Luca’s nest and get rid of him,” Ava added from her lone position on the arm chair. She kept playing with her weapon of choice, a custom made handgun enchanted by Luann.
Samuel watched her for some time as she passed the gun from hand to hand and twirled it in the air before she let it drop in her lap.

She was agitated, and he wished he could make her feel better. He understood her feelings of anger and anxiety all too well. But storming Luca’s nest was a bad idea for so many reasons. For one, they didn’t know just how big his alliance was, (if he even had one), or how prepared he was.

The most important reason though for not attacking Luca outright was the pact they’d made with the elders of the community when they were granted permission to get into the hunting business. They couldn’t attack without provocation.
Samuel closed his eyes, and laughed as he suddenly realized this wasn’t what he’d wanted; the rumbling from deep within his chest was the bitter sound of disillusionment and regrets.  His reality was way too off from his dreams. In fact all their realities were not what they had envisaged.

They were not always hunters. But the night of the Delacroix Court twenty years earlier had changed all their life plans when they suddenly found themselves in a war they were ill prepared for.

There were hundreds of them, from Twinbrook to Appaloosa Plains, men and women just like them, dedicated to the Course of exterminating blood drinkers. But the course wasn’t limited to just Vampires. There were reported cases of Witches and Weres being hunted in some parts, but so far, Twinbrook just had a single enemy, and they all had to stand together to fight him.
“You know we can’t do that. We have to wait for him to attack first. We can’t just go after him,” Samuel explained and it wasn’t something they all hadn’t heard before.

“Yeah, yeah, the pact with the Witches,” Ava hissed before she ran out of the room, leaving the other four with worried frowns on their aging faces.
“I’ll go talk to her,” Melissa volunteered from behind her laptop, but she didn’t make any attempt to leave for some time. And when she finally did, Samuel stopped her. Going after Ava wouldn’t do. He knew his wife wanted to be alone. She was taking Luca’s return harder than all of them.
They all lost someone that night, but Ava had lost the most, her entire family had been wiped out, and she was only fifteen then. If it wasn’t for her quick thinking father who’d hauled her up the attic when they’d heard the chaos outside their home, Ava would have been ripped from limb to limb like her parents.

Days after the attack on the town, Samuel had cried when Ava described in great detail the horror she’d witnessed when she’d watched from the attic fledglings feed on her parents and rip apart their limbs. He’d never felt such fury as he did then, and looking back now, he knew it was Sarah’s devastation that had pushed him into hunting.
An hour passed and the others retreated to the table for a game of poker. Samuel wasn’t in the mood, so he excused himself and he went in search of Ava. He found her at the firepit, warming herself up.
Wordlessly he joined her and wrapped his arms around her.

“It’s okay. Nothing will happen to you, I promise,” he told her over and over as he held her close to him.

She cried and shook in his arms, her fearful thoughts came out in spurts and stutters and he listened patiently, and allowed her to get it all off her chest.
“It’s happening again. I can feel it. Luca coming back like this means he’s ready to open that door. We can’t let him. We don’t know what will come out of there,” she cried on his chest and he agreed, Luca couldn't win.
“Listen to me, we’ll do everything in our power to stop him,” he promised her as he kissed her.

“Including Cadence?” She asked, searching his face. Samuel hesitated. Cadence wasn’t part of the deal. They couldn’t touch Cadence; the Youngbloods would unleash hell on earth if they did.
“She is the last piece of the puzzle. Luca can’t have her blood,” Ava grabbed his face and forced him to look at her.

He knew what she was asking him, and he didn’t agree. Like her, Cadence was just an innocent by stander in all of this. But at that moment, with her gazing up at him with such high expectation shining in her green eyes, he couldn’t refuse her. He would have given her the moon if she’d asked.
“Of course,” he told her as he claimed her lips once more.
It wasn’t long before they were sprawled on the ground, their bodies glistening with sweat under the moonlight, grass blades and fine grains of sand grated Ava’s back as she accepted Samuel’s carnal thrusts. They clung to each other, reaffirming their promise, wishing they could stop the train wreck, but all the signs were pointing to a cataclysmic end, it was unavoidable.

_______


AN: See I told you I like shiny, sparkly things, I wasn't lying.

I wanted to say something funny, but I can't think of anything right now, except thank you for reading, and to show my appreciation for your continued support, here's a poster of Luca. I made this for Jazen since she's so gaga over him.
Credits: all the hunters were created by Aussie Karima so Pixx and Maddie blame my assignment failure on her, she just can't make ugly sims.

24 comments:

  1. Sonja getting out of the situation was brill. The hunters, they didn't get what they wanted uh oh sounds like trouble is brewing on all sides and poor Cadence stuck in the middle and she has no idea :(

    Love the poster :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Luca. I will have to re download him and probably the K-finity posters as well.

    Poor Luca has so many people against him. :( He only wants his brother, why is that such a bad thing. And these hunters also after Cadence. Sonja has put her daughter in so much danger and the girl doesn't have a clue.

    There is going to be a major uprising coming.

    I'm still pulling for Luca to get his brother free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I really want to know what will happen when the others are released!

    What a horrible memory for Ava! I can't blame Samuel for crying when she described it, and trying to help her get revenge.

    Now that Cadence is in even more danger, her mother needs to tell her what is going on. She needs to know what's at stake!

    I like that poster of Luca. He looks so Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally get it!!! NOBODY'S THE BAD GUY! In fact it's just like four different groups trying to wipe each other out without being killed themselves....

    As always I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know why, but I don't really like Sonya. There is a hard core in her that can be frightening. Cadence I love. She is such a sweetie. Who wouldn't like her?

    I can understand why Ava is like that, but she is stepping over the boundary by attacking sweet Cadence. He should have never agreed with it! She needs therapy :P
    Great chapter Val!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the introduction of the hunters! This gets better and better :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. ~ Pixx, I agree with you,everyone feels wronged!
    ~ Oh,Bjorn,he has so little face time,he is such a cutie!LOL!
    ~ Wow,that was amazing,it now seems like Cadence is being targeted again,& she does not know anything about it,Sonja really needs to tell her everything!
    ~ Loved it,More when you can!(",)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree Cadence is hard to dislike. I am rooting for Luca though, that's just how I roll I suppose. I am most interesting in Cadence though and what happens to her since it could go any way with her. Look forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lckygrl,

    LOL, you think so about Sonja? Thank you. She had to think real quick to get out of there. Yes, it's a setback for the hunters.
    I'm thrilled you love the poster. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jaz,

    Let me know if you need the download links again.

    He does. And you're right, if they could all just stop and discuss this with him rationally they'd realize he's not out to get any of them. But their attitude towards him may just piss him to a point where it becomes about revenge on his part.
    True about Sonja putting Cadence in so much danger, but she does plan on coming clean with her, with some things at least.

    It's going to be ugly.

    LOL. I think everyone is pulling for Luca.

    Thanks so much for your feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nedra,

    A lot of ugliness will happen when that cellar is open.

    It was a terrible thing Ava witnessed and I can understand her fears, they are genuine and not unfounded.

    You are right, Sonja does need to talk to Cadence and in the next three chapters they do.

    LOL. Glad you like the poster. And thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pixx,

    LMAO! Yep, EUREKA!
    You are so right. Everyone feels wronged and they'll stop at nothing to protect their own.
    I'm glad you loved it. And thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dutchy,

    I understand, her actions so far, keeping Cadence in the dark are not likeable. But maybe once you get to know her more, you'll change your mind? And about the hardcoreness, I get you. Her experiences, what she went through have made her the person that she is, but she loves her daughter and she will be ruthless where her safety is concerned, so I really get what you mean about her being frightening.
    LOL, true, Cadence is def a sweet girl. But even sweet girls lose their innocence (and I don't mean the innocence Luca would be thrilled to take). I

    Again, I'm with you on Ava, her fears and concerns are justified, but what she asked of Samuel isn't.

    Thanks Dutchy, and thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Doons99P

    Thank you, I'm happy you loved the way the hunters were introduced. Thank you for your continued support.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Karima,

    -And I agree with you and Pixx
    -I know, and because of him and Sam I'm planning on expanding the role of the hunters, it was supposed to be small, but hey, I just can't get rid of them. I'm in love with both.
    -You are so right, Sonja and Cade need to have a sit down.
    -You know it!

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aeon,

    Yes, Cadence is hard not to like. I see, you like the underdog, huh? I get ya. Right now, I'm still not sure who to root for, but with Luca being the outcast, my sympathies are learning more towards him also.
    You are right, Cadence's role in all this is interesting and complicated and like you said, she could go any way. Thank you for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooo vampire hunters! That will be interesting! I hope Sonja will be okay. I also wonder if Cadence will find out the truth. Great job, looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ok! Finally caught up! So many sides! I don't know who to pick! I don't know if I wanna be on the vamp side or the witch's or the hunters! I don't know who to support! Pesky pesky hunters. *Tsktsk* such a pain. At least they're not witch hunters though! Now those are pesky ones O_O I think I like the witches the best, but IDK! I sure like Cadence though...I also like Luca though...Ug! I can't decide who it like and who to hate!

    Anyway! <3 this chapter. I can't wait to find out what happens with all this! So much to folow. Vampires, witches, werewolves Oh my! Hunters and elves and who the hell knows what else :P Hahaha <3 :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tender Wolf,

    Thank you so much for giving TF a chance, I saw all your comments and I appreciate the feedback. Sonja can hold her own and in the next three chapters Cadence starts learning more about herself and the world around her. The next update should be up this weekend. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rose,

    LOL. Sorry, but you don't have to choose a side. I understand what you mean though, I like the witches too.

    The main focus of TF are the Vampires and Witches, all the other races just add a certain dimension to the story and drive the plot forward. Hunters and Elves really play a very minor role.

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh no..Hunters now? And they are trying to get the star as well?!...and they also have plans for Cadence Im guessing...
    Im so happy that Sonja got out of that situation quickly. I was so scared for her that something terrible might happen!

    I think poor Cadence has been kept in the dark long enough...Sonja should really tell her what is going on..it doenst seem like the best thing for her to be in the dark anymore.

    I love how much drama and different groups there are...keeps me on my toes and wondering what will 'they' do. :}

    Another wonderfully written chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The screenshots are so beautiful especially the last one. I love the crackling of fire and they just situated so perfectly. They've lost so many things.. no wonder why the citizens of Twinbrook are so angry. Poor Ava.. her tale really breaks my heart. Glad Sonja got out of that sticky situation.. Cadence must be begging for answers now. Her mother must tell her soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow,I love how complex this plot is with the various factions.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, I love how everyone has their own reasons in this story! I can understand how Ava wanted to be a hunter, but somehow I think she's living in the past and that's not good.
    Well, you said it yourself... " a cataclysmic end"... Curious to see where this will lead!

    ReplyDelete