Volume 1.4: Powerless

Type: Series
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Rating: M
Characters: Sonja, Luann, Stella, Carmella and Dana
Word Count: 1278
Glossary: 
Warning: coarse language, some violence



What the hell were we thinking
Were we thinking at all
What the hell did we believe we’d achieve
We stood there with our hearts exposed
As the others said I told you so
What the hell
What the hell
Giant Mistake-The Parlotones
"Unbelievable!" Sonja shook her head in disbelief at the members of her coven.

They'd all sensed Luca's arrival, hence their impromptu gathering. But for an hour they'd talked about almost everything under the sun and none of it important.

"What is it dear?" Luanne, her older sister and the coven’s priestess, asked.

"This is what he wants, to see us fight and squabble and doubt each other."

Before Sonja had even finished her sentence they were all at it again, screaming and waving their fists, threatening to do bodily harm to each other with their magic.
The reason for their war of words was Carmella Long. She had failed to produce her piece of the magical keystone the coven had used to eternally bind members of Luca’s clan to the Delacroix’s cellar twenty years earlier.

The keystone in question had eight pieces in total. When arranged and placed together the pieces took on a shape of an eight point star, known as the Star of Chaos or The Divine Fire Wheel, sacred to Tyr, the Norse god of War.

Legend says when the monstrous Wolf Fenrir became very powerful and threatened the Cosmic Order, the gods decided to imprison the beast. No ordinary chain could restrain Fenrir, so Tyr had to put his hand in the mouth of the Wolf as a sign of goodwill while the other gods created a magical restraint. When Fenrir realized that he had been tricked, and that he could not free himself, he bit off Tyr's hand.

In the magical world, specifically in the Twinbrook coven, the keystone came to symbolize order over chaos as well as justice and the sacrifice for a greater good. Without one piece it was useless, and with all the pieces together, it spelled trouble for the perceived threat.
The screaming match carried on for at least another ten minutes, with accusations of carelessness being passed around and magical wands were brandished as makeshift weapons.

Luanne, having had enough of their squabbling, cast a Mood Elevatus spell.
It wasn’t going to bring everlasting peace on earth, but it would improve everyone’s mood in the room. Within moments a deep calm washed over the four Witches at the table.


"Now that I have your attention, shall we move things along?" She asked, clasping her hands in front of her. Her long burgundy gown made a swooshing sound as she sashayed around the room with her head held high, her posture was regal-like and it commanded respect.
For the next hour they managed to speak rationally and agree on a few things.

They all knew Luca and April would return someday and their arrival would spell war.

But Luca’s success at breaking out The Forsaken depended on a few things, primarily getting his hands on the Star of Chaos, the words to the unbinding spell, magical reagents, the most important being a virgin’s blood (not just any virgin, but Cadence). It was her blood, when she was just a baby, that bound The Forsaken, and only her blood would undo the spell, provided she was still a virgin.

Of course they'd all banked on the fact that Luca wouldn't return so soon and by the time he did, Cadence would have been married, and no longer an innocent maiden. That's why they'd all falsely believed Julian and the rest of their clan were banished for eternity.
"Tell me Cadence is not a virgin," Stella yelped in her seat. Her words elicited a dark scowl from Sonja.

"She is." Sonja retorted, and refused to explain further.
"For Pete’s sake, what is she waiting for? I thought she and the Kingston boy were friendly!" Dana added, throwing her hands in the air.

"They are exactly that, just friends. Nothing more!" Sonja fired back. She was usually a tame woman, calm by nature, but Luca's reappearance had yanked her chain in ways she hadn't foreseen!
"Well tell the girl to hurry up already!" Carmella cried and Sonja lost it. 

She hurled a glacial orb at Stella and her cronies. But before it could reach its targets, Luann threw her own, a small ball of fire. Lightning and fire flashed and crackled in the room as the two energies collided and burst into tiny fragments on the table.

"Simmer down," the high priestess warned everyone.


A tense silence ensued as they all sat uncomfortably in their seats, contemplating their predicament. The fact that Carmella's piece of the Star was missing added more pressure to an already unstable situation.

When everyone had calmed down again, it was agreed that finding the missing piece was high on their ‘to-do’ list. Stella volunteered to locate it as soon as she returned home. Scrying for missing objects and people was her familial ability.
"About Cadence-" Stella began, but Sonja refused to entertain her.

"No. I'm done using my daughter. We did it once and it ended badly for her father. I'm not going to ask her to spread her legs just so we can all sleep easy at night. It doesn't work that way!" She firmly put her foot down. 

"But..."

"No buts. There has to be another way. Find the missing piece and let's destroy the Star!" Sonja came up with a compromise. They mulled over her suggestion. It could work. Without the Star, Luca couldn't break the seal, just like he couldn't lift the bind without Cadence's blood.
“And Luca knows about the necklace.”

Her announcement was met by shocked gasps and worried frowns as they all tentatively touched their talismans, unconsciously making sure they were still attached to their necks.

“How?” Luanne finally had the strength to ask.

“I went to his house to try and reason with him. I was emotional, the necklace flashed and he saw it. He yanked it from me and-” her words trailed off.
“Watched you transform!” Dana completed her sentence as she sagged on the table. Her head hit the oak surface with a soft thud.

For a long stretch they sat frozen in place, each silently wondering how everything could go wrong all at once.

There was no telling what Luca would do when he figured out the Wolves had had a hand in bringing down his clan.

“I have to tell Romulus,” Luanne spoke, and the group nodded mutely, still touching their necklaces.
The gathering broke up shortly after that. Sonja didn’t stick around and trade magic spells like she usually did, she dashed for the door, eager to get home and talk to Cadence, lay down all her cards on the table.

She hated leaving her alone, especially with Luca across the creek. Vampires were an unpredictable lot, seductive and deceptive. It would be so easy for Cadence to believe any word from Luca's lips. He was charming by nature and the fact that he was easy on the eyes didn’t help matters.

She'd just opened her car door and threw her witches hat in the front seat when she sensed someone behind her, her gut tightened, her pulse raced; she closed the door and turned around slowly, bracing herself for her assailant.
She burst into relieved laughter when she saw it was only Stella.


"I wanted to catch you before you left. In there, what we said was uncalled for. You're right about Cadence. She shouldn't have to sacrifice her innocence…" Stella apologized and Sonja hugged her. They were okay, she understood, Luca’s sudden reappearance had rattled everyone's cages and they were all saying and doing things they normally wouldn't.

The Witches parted ways, with promises to call each other during the week with an update on the search for the missing Star piece…

________

Behind the scenes drama: I apologize for the bad shots, the Spell book was acting up for a large part of the time I was taking these shots, some conflict with Hidden Springs' Fountain of Youth and the Spell book. Anyway, that's been sorted out now so hopefully next time I'll have lots of shiny, sparkly things in future chapters. I love sparkly things, including Edward Cullen.

Credits: I am not clued up on Mythology and such, but while on my many escapades on the net looking for mythical jewelry I could use for the Witches in The Forsaken I came across the Star of Chaos and I found the story behind the Star fascinating and incredibly sad. There are various sources on the net with different versions of the legend of Fenrir and Tyr, when you have a chance look it up.

A special thanks to Karima for creating, Stella, Carmella and Dana. She probably won't recognize them since they are sims she donated to me a while back, and I just aged them up in CAS.

29 comments:

  1. I'm just gonna use my MyzKrazyMa profile to comment on this one, having to switch over to LJ is just getting tiring Xp . So basically everything is riding on Candance's virginity!?! Wow that's some valuable...er hem...Luca is never gonna get the vampires out, the list on things he needs is tooooooooo looooonnngggg!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL @ " that's some valuable...er hem"
    I couldn't have put it better Pixx. But yeah a lot is riding on whether or not Cadence is still 'innocent' And if she is, Luca can't afford to get sidetracked if he wants to free his brother. The list is long, but since he came back then it means he's almost prepared to open the door.

    Thanks so much for reading and for leaving me feedback, and your crazy comments on Facebook. You and Maddie just made my Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved it! I have a feeling, the witches will need to stop squabbling if to keep the Forsaken locked up. Something tells me it is going to take them all working together to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the mythology bit you added! And the complication with Cadence is a good one, can't wait to see what will happen. I loved the setting of the witch's room, where do they meet exactly?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dem,

    *hugs* long time no chat.

    Your feeling is right, they'll have to leave their pettiness aside if they want to outsmart Luca.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doons99P,

    Yeah, I found the Mythology fascinating. Yes, the complication with Cadence is crucial to the plot. The setting is actually Luanne's livingroom. Damn I should have mentioned that, I totally missed it.

    Thanks so much for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pushing her daughter to lose her virginity! No wonder Sonja got upset! That should definitely be Cadence's choice when she's ready!

    I'm glad that Stella came after her! At least they understand her feelings.

    I wonder how Cadence will react when she finds out what is really going on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I forgot to say, that I liked your shots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ~ I think if the Witches don't get it together,that the Vampires have won a small victory!
    ~ He has them warring with each other & I am so glad Stella cleared the air with Sonja!
    ~ Luca,is causing so much turmoil with his appearance again!But he has to be back for a reason, I wonder!!!!
    ~ Loved the pictures & enjoyed reading this,LOVE IT!
    ~ More when you have the time!LOL!(",)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Daisies,

    I know right, it's amazing what people turn into when they are placed under pressure. And I agree, it should be Cadence's choice.

    Sonja understands they are all emotional and saying things they otherwise wouldn't say.

    Cadence's reaction may just be surprising.

    Thanks for reading and your kind comment on the shots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...Cadence is a bigger piece of the puzzle than I thought. Does Luca know? what of course he probably does LOL (silly me)

    Wonder what Cadence will have to say when she finds out what her mom did using her, and how she is still the key.

    What if she chooses to seek out Luca's side of the story?

    That would make for an interesting turn of events.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karima,

    -You're right, it's important for them to stand together.
    -Yeah, those two are very close, they wouldn't have left without making up.
    -and the scary part is he hasn't even begun yet, but getting his brother out is def his end game.
    -thanks, Karima! You saw your girls?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jaz,

    Yes she is, Luca's success at breaking out his brother depends on her, so he needs to play nice with her.

    Cadence's reaction is coming up in two chapters if I remember right, and it understandably not pretty.

    Mhhh, now that's a surefire way to give her mom a heart attack.

    Thanks for reading Jaz.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great chapter. I'd have to ask my hubby about mythology stuff. But he mainly knows about Greek mythology. Anywho, wouldn't it be funny if Cadence lost her virginity to Luca. Which then would screw Luca's plan on freeing his family. Hehe. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh dear,
    I wonder if Luca knows that Cadence is the key to getting his brother out. AND that she was the key to locking him up in the first place! I think not if you count his reaction to the welcome wagon.

    Hmm, if he and Cady do end up a couple, let's hope, for his brother's sake, that Luca isn't all that... hor- uhm forward! Hehe!

    Ow, who are we kidding! Luca oozes sex! At least to me! Drooooll!

    Great uppie Val!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here I am :)
    Oh, wow Val, it must take you ages to make this pictures. I find it so hard and it looks so simple for you! What is your secret? I love all the cc you use its makes the pictures so much better!

    Cadence innocent. Most of the time its the other way around and they want to keep it. Not lose it. haha I can understand Candence, Luca is hot!!

    Oh, I wanted to ask you, what skin do you use on your sims?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anna, thnak you. You're lucky your hubby knows about Mythology, what a gold mine of knowledge you have there. LMAO, that would be funny, true, but Luca's smarter than that.
    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jean-Marie,

    About Luca knowing or not, will be revealed in the next few chapters! If I said more I'd be revealing too much. Sorry.

    You're right, if they do end up together, Luca will have to be strong and resist the temptation if he wants to free Julian.

    LMAO at the last line. To you, Pixx and Jazen.

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dutchy,

    *hugs*

    I just caught your update too.

    No, not really, since I got the fixed up hoods (rerouted) and the CC Magic tool, no more game lags, which means I run through the shooting quickly now. In the past it used to take forever because of the game lags.

    Yeah, Cadence's innocence has everyone's panties in knots.

    Luca seems to be every girl's fav right now.

    I use Lady Frontbum's skins. Here's the link to her site: http://www.ladyfrontbum.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hmm, I'm wondering if Cadence and Luca hook up if the spell will be broken. It seems like it would be a win win for him but definitely not for the witches. They better find that piece quick!
    I just love this story and can't wait for Candence reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Luv4gaj,

    If they hook up, the spell won't be broken, but Cadence will be willing to help Luca out. True, either way Luca is set, but the witches, not so much.

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved this chapter, it really set the scene for the rest of the story and teases at some interesting scenarios!

    It looks like Luca has some work to do though. I imagine how horrible it would be for Sonja and the witches if Cadence lost her virginity to Luca.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aeon,

    Aw, it makes me so happy to know you loved the chapter. And you're right, it does set the scene for the rest of the story.

    Luca does have his work cut out for him, but getting through to Cadence may just very well be his biggest challenge.

    The whole town would flip! LMAO!

    Thanks for reading, Aeon and it's good to have you back. I'm looking forward to a Bloody Fates update.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Finally got to read this chapter hooray, anyway glad to see the coven are not going to use Cadence but something tells me Luca and Cadence would be good together. Not sure why but had to say :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lckygrl,

    Yay, I'm so thrilled you finally got here. Yes, the coven's next option is to find the missing piece of the Star and destroy it. LOL, I like your thinking about Cadence and Luca. Something tells me that too. But we'll see how Luca and Cadence feel about that.

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You're a very good writer Valpre! So talented! :) I love how you threw actual mythology into the story with the Star of Chaos, and very creative with the ritual you came up with. Cadence will have a lot on her shoulders if she finds out her blood is needed for this ritual. Oh, and I love your Edward Cullen comment - I also love Twilight. :) Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The witches disagreeing on each other.. how wonderful Luca's influence is. I do hope Carmella finds her missing piece. It was so mean of the member to think they could just take away Cadence's innocence. I love the backstory between the Star of Chaos. I wonder if the witches destroy it or Luca has his hands on it? Well it would be a war for everyone involved either way...

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the bit about the Star of Chaos. I'm a big mythology fan I love what you did with that.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh oh...! So Cadence has to stay a virgin. Interesting. :)
    Really loved these shots, they must've been so difficult to do!
    And as a fan of Nordic mythology, I liked the reference to Fenrir's legend.

    ReplyDelete