Volume 1.3: Good Neighbors

Type: Series
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Rating: M
Characters: Cadence, Sonja, Luca, April
Word Count: 2453
Glossary: 
Warning: coarse language, some violence



I'm on the side of the moon that always shines on you
I can see the whole world from here
But all I ever do is stare at you
I'm on the side, I'm on the side
I'm on the side of the moon
Side of the Moon-The Parlotones

Her dull grey eyes lit up as she watched the unusually tall man jump out of the battered pickup truck and swiftly run up the front steps, the steady wind blowing through his short black hair.
Just as he was about to reach the door, as if he sensed he was being watched, he stopped, turned and stared straight at her.
Cadence gasped and jumped out of view.
She crawled on the floor as she snapped the curtains in place to block out his frosty glare.
She waited, and counted to ten before she slowly rose from the floor and yanked the curtains open again, and just in time too to see him retrieve a large, blue cooler box from the back of the truck.
His movements were measured and precise as he bent down to place it on the ground. The muscles on his broad shoulders flexed beneath the white t-shirt, his jeans molded his firm butt to perfection.
Cadence wondered what was in the cooler box. It was way too chilly to be stocking up on beers.  On second thought, she didn’t care; surely whatever was in there could not be as interesting as the vision of perfection in front of her.
Suddenly she wanted to scream “Hallelujah” at the top of her lungs and sing for joy. God had heard her prayers.
For years she’d daydreamed about a gorgeous stranger (note: who later becomes her boyfriend) moving into the abandoned manor across the creek. The dark-haired stranger looked just like the guy from her daydreams! If this wasn’t fate she didn’t know what else was! The universe had listened and sent him to her doorstep…well, close enough, Cadence thought to herself.
“YOWZA!” She broke into a happy dance to celebrate her great find.
The stranger had brought the WIN back to TWINBROOK! And she couldn’t wait to share her discovery with her best friend, Rachel.
“Not bad at all!” Cadence drooled some more as she refocused her attention and her eyes traveled up and down his length.
“What’s not bad, dear?” Her mom walked in to her room then and intruded on her unruly thoughts.
“Our new neighbor,” Cadence replied. Her eyes refused to look away from the window. The view was way too gorgeous!
Sonja joined her in front of the window and they watched the scene across the creek play out as a petite redhead sprang out of the crumbling house and glided down the steps.
Cadence felt sorry for the guy as she watched the short but intense exchange between the two.
The girl, Cadence guessed was her age, twenty going on twenty one (she could have been older though), kept screaming and stomping her feet, and the guy with the perfect ass kept kicking the cooler box with his heel, his arms crossed over his chest defensively. His bulging biceps kept calling out to Cadence to come and touch them. And she was ready, eager and willing.
“Do you think we should go over and welcome them to the bayou?” She smiled innocently at Sonja. 

“No!” Sonja retorted sharply.


Cadence frowned, startled by the sudden harshness in her mom's voice.

“Let’s give them time to settle in,” Sonja added softly. Cadence nodded, but she was still confused; it wasn’t like her mom to be so sharp and edgy.
“Is everything okay with the coven? I thought we were meeting in a fortnight?” She asked over Sonja’s shoulder as she gave her a hug.
She held on to her too tightly, unable to shake off the feeling that something was terribly wrong. Not just with her mom, but everything around her. A shift had occurred, a slight disturbance in the atmosphere, unseen, but definitely felt. And it worried her. Badly.
“Something came up and it can’t wait,” Sonja's reply was evasive as she gently pulled away from their embrace. She left the bedroom with Cadence trailing behind her.
In the living room, she grabbed her Witch’s hat from the coat rack and placed it on her head, careful not to disturb the luscious auburn curls Cadence had worked so hard to get to the perfect state they were in.

“How do I look?” Sonja asked.
“Just like a Witch,” the grey in Cadence's eyes sparkled mischievously and they both laughed at their secret joke, releasing some of the tension between them.
They went into the altar room and held hands as they chanted their family’s protection spell.
“Angels above wrap your guiding arms around me, keep all evil intent at bay and smite those who wish to harm me. Spirit of Isis, Goddess of Magic shine your light on me, I call upon you now to keep me safe at all times. So mote it be!”
“I love you mom,” Cadence told her at the front door.

“I love you most,” Sonja replied, tapping Cadence’s button nose with her index finger like she used to when she was still a little girl.


The memory brought smiles to their faces and their sighs were filled with yearning for things long gone.
“Don’t forget, the gathering may go on longer than usual, so don’t wait up for me,” Sonja reminded her as she quickly dashed for the small car parked in the driveway.
She waved from inside the car when she saw Cadence was still at the door. 

Cadence blew her a kiss. Sonja caught it and placed her hand over her heart.


“Always in my heart,” Cadence mouthed at her.

“Mine too,” Sonja smiled back and with a loud hoot, she drove off.
As soon as her mom was out of sight, Cadence rushed back inside the house, all thoughts of not going over to the neighbors’ house forgotten. She had to welcome them to the bayou and of course get a closer look at the new guy.

In the kitchen she took out a basket from the cupboard, along with the jar of cookies they’d baked that morning and carefully placed them inside the basket.
She added a few muffins too, and she wondered if the new neighbors liked carrot and pecan nut, or if they’d prefer bran.

“I’ll give them both.” She decided, dumping more muffins inside the basket.
With the goodies packed and ready to be delivered, Cadence was suddenly anxious. She wasn’t used to meeting new people, Twinbrook was a very small town; no one left or moved in. So having Mr. Hot and his lady friend move in so close to her house was an exciting adventure for her.
“Hi, I’m Cadence. I live across the creek. Pleased to meet you. These are for you.” She practiced her introduction in front of the mirror a few times. And when she was sure she had it down to perfection, she set out with the basket hanging loosely at her side.
Outside, Cadence was surprised to see the weather had changed, a sandstorm was brewing from the west and judging by the fierce winds blowing around her she knew it was going to be a bad one. She quickened her pace; she didn’t want to get caught in the torrid weather.
In the crumbling manor across the creek, Luca busied himself by starting the fire in the heath, trying his best to ignore April as she sat listlessly in one of the four arm chairs in the room.
April hated storms and the mournful sounds coming from the basement were not doing much to lift her spirits.
“How can we just sit here? They can sense something is different this time. You have to get the Witch on board ASAP!” She grabbed Luca’s half full glass of blood from the coffee table and sent it soaring in the air. It hit the opposite wall and dropped on the floor, breaking into perfect halves.
“Great job April, there’s plenty more where that came from so go right ahead and waste what we have!” Luca’s voice dripped with sarcasm as he glared her.

“I can’t take this, Luca! Doesn’t it bother you that he’s in there? He probably won’t last l-” April didn’t finish her rant.
In a flash Luca had her throat in his hand, his icy fingers wrapped tightly around her larynx. He held her up on the wall and watched the small red veins in her eyes pop out.
With a single twist, he could easily snap her neck and end her undead existence. But Julian loved her and he’d never forgive him if he harmed her in any way.

“Don’t you dare say it!” Luca warned her as he loosened his grip on her throat and let her go.
April collapsed to the floor in a clumsy heap and Luca walked right over her to the couch.
“He’s alive and holding on.  They are all doing okay!” He continued softly, more to himself. “And for fuck’s sake it bothers me. He’s my brother. I can’t say the same for you though. You’re probably wishing and praying he dies so he doesn’t find out what you’ve been up to. You couldn’t wait to sell yourself to the one person he hates, could you?
“It wasn’t like that!” April shook her head.

“Really? Then what was it like?” Luca rubbed his chin sardonically.

April opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out, instead she threw her face in her hands and wept.

Luca watched her cry, willing himself not to cave and fall for her tears. But her tearful sobs couldn’t be ignored, they brought to life memories he didn’t want or need, snapshots he’d struggled to ignore for the last two decades.
It had pained him to see April break down and fall apart when they came back from their hunting trip and found Julian locked in the cellar.
For hours, she had lain outside the door, talking to Julian through the wall, refusing to leave him there. He, at Julian’s insistence, had had to use force to pry her from the room and take her to safety, away from Twinbrook, until the dust with the Witches had settled and a plan to rescue the clan was devised.

It had seemed so easy then, so straightforward, and neither had imagined it would take twenty odd years to bring their plan to fruition.
“How many times must I say I’m sorry,” April wailed, interrupting his vivid trip down memory lane.

She stared up at him but quickly hung her head shamefully when she saw the look of contempt in his eyes.

“You don’t owe me a fucking apology April. Save it for Julian,” Luca spat at her.
A gentle knock on the front door melted the ice between them. Luca sprung to his feet to get it, glad Andrew had arrived. Now he could get things in motion.  And if all went well, Julian and the others would be out in a month and they’d all get the hell out of dodge.
“You are fucking la-” He was about to rebuke his cousin for tardiness, but the rest of his words remained lodged in his throat.
It wasn’t his cousin. It was Cadence.
Up close her uncanny resemblance to Sonja and Luanne was frightening. She had the same high cheekbones, their family’s trademark it would seem, the same pale eyes and rich auburn hair, and how could he ignore the long aristocratic nose.
“Hello, I’m Cadence, I live across the creek,” she stuck out her hand for a handshake. He eHedidn’t take it.
Cadence flushed at his rudeness and dropped her hand limply at her side. Her gaze shot past him and met the same drab furniture and cobwebs her mother had encountered just days before.

Luca draped his full height on the door frame. He had no intention of letting her inside.
He turned on the porch light and closed the door behind him. The flame-colored glow from the light flickered on Cadence’s face, and not for the first time he found himself marveling at her beauty.
He toyed with the amulet on his neck as he studied her through hooded eyes, thinking about Sonja’s own necklace; it wasn’t a Youngblood talisman, he knew that much at least since all the members of the older generation in Sonja’s coven had it, and its magic source was unusual for Witches. If he were to guess, he’d say it was of Elvan origin. The necklace’s power, in the few minutes he’d held it, had disturbed him more than he’d let on and it had confirmed what he’d hoped were unfounded suspicions, the Youngbloods had an alliance. Apart from the wolves, Emme, the only remaining elf in town and the only person who’d never taken sides before, was now in the Witches’ corner. And that didn’t sit well with him…
“I brought you guys some muffins, to welcome you to the bayou,” Cadence broke through his erratic thoughts with her sheepish cry.
She held out the basket to him and Luca had a sudden urge to laugh. She had no clue what they were, Sonja obviously hadn’t filled her in, or her daughter wouldn’t be standing on his porch playing Stepford Wives.

“Thank you,” he smiled, but he was careful not to show his fangs, as he accepted the muffins.
Their hands brushed, Cadence pulled back, she had a startled look in her eyes.

“You are so cold,” she blurted out.

“I know,” Luca replied, “I’m cold blooded.
She laughed, trying to convince herself he was joking. It sounded hollow, forced. He joined her but before long they had nothing to laugh about and she stared at her feet, kicking at the weeds in front of her with the toe of her cowboy boot.
“It was nice meeting you Cadence, thanks for the muffins. I’ll be sure to drop this off in the morning,” Luca waved the basket at her and ushered her away.

Andrew would be arriving any moment now. His hatred for the Youngbloods and their little coven of Witches was enough to drive away all thought and reason. Once he committed to a particular course of action, changing his mind would be impossible. If he found Cadence there, there’d be a war. And he couldn’t have that; he couldn’t have Andrew mess with his plans.
Cadence nodded and jammed her tiny hands in her pockets as she backed away slowly.
“You never told me your name,” she turned back.

“Luca. Luca Delacroix.” He watched her face closely for any hint of recognition. There was none. Her face remained an intriguing blank canvass, begging to be explored.
“See you around Luca,” she gave him a small wave before dashing down the steps.

30 comments:

  1. ~ Fantastic,Cadence is literally drooling over Luca!
    ~ Her Mom is none too pleased on that!
    ~ I wonder if her Mom will be very pleased about the welcome wagon for her enemy,by her daughter,no less!!!!!
    ~ The pictures are beautifully done!
    ~ I love this,more when you can!(",)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karima,

    Yay, you are my 1st commenter!

    -I know, poor Luca, he doesn't know whioo's watching him. Maybe he does. But Cadence's seen something she likes, very much.
    -Sonja will blow the roof if she knew about the welcome wagon, but then again, it's her own fault, maybe if she told Cadence why she doesn't want to go over to the neighbors, Cadence would have stayed away.
    -Thank you.
    -LOL, you know this!

    Thanks so much for reading and your feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More Luca to wake up to!!!!

    Sonja needs to fill her daughter in on the truth because she is playing with fire having a crush on Luca. I'll have to go back and re-read but isn't Cadence part vamp?

    Who was April spending the last 20yrs with???

    One month if all goes according to plan, the rest of them will be free and all hell will break loose.

    Great update Val!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaz,

    LOL. I hope it was a good wake up call :)

    True, Cadence doesn't know who she's messing with, and Sonja most def does need to fill her in.

    More on April soon, but let's just say whoever he is and whatever she did is bad enough to make Julian want to give up hope of being freed.

    Thank you and thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cadence is very cute!
    ...and I am LOVING this pair already!
    Sonja's gonna blow! But I agree, she should have handled it better and just told Cadence. But then your story would've been a few chapters shorter, so... glad she didn't!

    I'm also intrigued who April betrayed Julian with and in which way... (Keeping an open mind and not jumping to conclusions here)

    The pictures were lovely!

    (PS: Sonja looks ridiculous with that modern dress and the old witches hat. LOL. That seriously cracked me up! Thank you, you made my day)
    Can't wait for more on the modern hag with the old hat. (my new definition of Sonja)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jean-Marie,

    She is a cutie, aint she. That's what Sonja looked like when she was younger, before all the harships of life.

    LOL @ "LOVING this pair already!" Mhh, we'll see if they'll pair up or not. But if Cadence has her way, Luca doesn't stand a chance. And if something does happen between the two, it will be partly Sonja's fault, she should have warned Cade about him.

    I like that you are keeping an open mind about April's actions.

    Thank you.

    (PS: And that was the secret joke between Cade and Sonja, but I didn't want to explain in case it didn't make sense or no one found it funny, but yeah, the fact that she's all with her witchy hat is just too funny to both of them.)

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Already loving Cadence! Knows what she wants and going after it! I love the way she ignored the fact that Luca might already be involved with April. I can already see the chemistry between Luca and Cadence!

    I can't tell yet if April will be glad when Julian is out or if she is afraid!


    Loved it Val! Can't wait to see what happens next!

    And I have to say again, Luca is yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cadence is not the only one drooling over him *big smile* I love her innocence and his darkness. Great combo :P
    Your writing is getting better and better and so is your story telling:) You sucked me right in this one and I can't wait to read more. GIVE ME MORE! :) Loved it Val!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cadence I find so sweet and innocent. Mum should have told her. Luca is very cute by the way

    ReplyDelete
  10. Daisies,

    She is a lovable girl I think, very down to earth, girl next door kind of girl. I like that you think there's potential chemistry between the two.

    No matter what Luca thinks, April's intentions were good, though they may end up hurting Julian, but she wants nothing more than to see him free. She won't be afraid if he's freed, but she'll definitely be glad, and maybe heartbroken when things don't work out the way she'd like them between the two of them.

    I'm glad you loved it.

    LOL, don't let him hear you say that.

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dutchy,

    LOL. So I take it you're drooling too. More on her innocence and his darkness will follow soon. And I'm glad you like the pairing. Thank you. And thanks for reading

    ReplyDelete
  12. lckygrl1975,

    Cadence is sweet and naive and innocent, all the things that Sonja would like to preserve but with Luca around, chances of that happening are getting slimmer by the minute.
    True, Sonja should have told her, but she wanted to speak to the coven first before bringing her daughter into the loop.
    Oh my, Luca seems to be the flavor of the week.

    Thanks for reading and I replied to your PM on Facebook, let me know if you need more help.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had a feeling something like this was going to happen. But watch He will fall in love with her and end the feud. I'm loving the story so far keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anna,

    You know what, I think you are on to something about
    Luca falling for her, but I don't know about ending the feud, if he starts something with Cadence if may just make things worse with the townspeople.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic! I love the care and detail you put into your shots.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Doons99P,

    *blushes*

    Thank you, I'm a clutter addict, and thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cadence's ignorance is too cute. Poor kid has no idea what crazy fiasco she's about plunge into

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pixx, you are so right, Cadence has no clue what's coming her way. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Did my comment go though? I don't think it did. I commented! But it didn't work cause I had been sitting on this page for awhile :|

    Anyway! Awesome chapter! As usual ;) I love it! I kinda feel back for Cadence...Erm awkward :P I don't remember whatelse I said...But Great chapter! Can't wait for the next one.

    (Oh and I know I said I would stop bugging you, but have you checked out PV yet? It's got witches and witch hunters so this just made me think of it :P)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like Cadence and what a great name for her. I bet when/if Sonja does fill in Cadence it will have been too late any ways. She will be too much into Luca by then to even care, although who knows. There is still a lot more to learn about her and I hope to do just that! Oh yeah and Cadence, I really like her!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Rose, thanks for reading. No, I haven't had a chance to check out the other forum. Really, I'm not at a place where I feel comfortable enough to join another forum. But thanks for the invite.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aeon,

    Thank you, I'm glad you like Cadence. I thought it was a beautiful name and it's great for her. Sonja will wish she'd told Cadence much sooner when the shit hits the fan. I'm happy she intrigues you and there's plenty more about her to learn.

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aw I'm sorry. :( I wont bug you anymore, promise. I hope you feel better soon. I really do, I hate to see you all down :(

    <3

    Anyway, I have heard a wittle bit about elves? Idk if there are going to be any elves or pixies or fairies or anything in this story, BUT if there is, I'm really good at making pixie-like simmys >_< Hehe I made one the other day and I was like Wow O.O Hehe

    Oh and I just read all the character thingys, loved them! Its cool to learn about them like that! :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Rose,

    no, no worries, it's not you, it's me. You were being nice, and I just need to get over my hang ups, but really I appreciate the invite.

    Yes, there will be an elf, and Karima has already made her for me. Next time, if I ever need more elves, you'll be the first to know, I promise.

    I'm so happy you love the character bios. I was supposed to do the same for Krisis and Seven, I just never got a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I thought I saw Luca and someone that looked like Sonja on the banner at the top of the site! I sense a forbidden love story coming on...:D Cadence was really drooling over Luca! Of course, I don't blame her. lol Still looking forward to finding out what April did! Off to the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cadence is uber cute! She is so pretty, but she looks like she is modest and doesnt realize that she is easy on the eyes.

    I was rolling at her spying on Luca and his bulging muscles. XD She is adorable and has already become an instant favorite to me.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well her mother sure hasn't filled Cadence in with any details. I wonder if her little teenage dream would come true...it must be so lucky having a hottie like Luca move right next door. I love the little farewell between Sonja and Cadence. It was really really sweet. <3 Poor April, it must really be so hard on her. I wonder what she did...?

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm very intrigued about what April did as well.

    And I admit, if a guy like Luca moved in across the creek from me, I'd be offering him my muffins in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I loled at the way Cadence was totally checking Luca out! :D So fun!
    Twinbrook makes such a good shooting stage for that kind of story... *sigh*
    I don't know why but I have a bad feeling about the way her mom said goodbye. Do I sense impending doom?
    Oh my, Cadence has no idea how dangerous it can be to offer muffins (muffins, how cute is that?!) to a vampire!

    ReplyDelete